2000 year Megane 1.4 " PINKING " issue

Introduce yourself and let us know a bit about you and your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

adrianallen

2000 year Megane 1.4 " PINKING " issue

Postby adrianallen » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:34 am

Hi all,
Just this second registered on the forum. I will participate with the forum if I can help out because I know this car ( wifes car ) very well. A lovely car which I regularly maintain myself. It has done 80,000 miles.

Recently , a pencil coil failed, which I replaced, so back to normal, and the engine management light extinguished after a day or two. great .

However, and this started before the coil went down, the engine is " pinking " ..?

I ran diagnostics on it yesterday , as a relative has the software , and all that showed up was the " historical " fault code for the coil failing, which we cleared... but no faults regarding the pinking, ( knock sensor etc ).

so I am stumped... ???

yesterday, I regapped all the plugs just because they needed it, but the plugs look the right colour and no signs of overheating through pre ignition probs ?

No signs of a split or broken hose anywhere, either ? - and the map sensor that goes into the inlet manifold is secure with no leaks.

The only other clue is that , over time, the idling speed has dropped, sometimes to just below 500 rpm, - but bless her, she still ticks over. I love this car.

Apologies if this post gets posted in the wrong area of the forum, I am not used to using online forums, but I am sur I will get used to it.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance , - Adrian

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: 2000 year Megane 1.4 " PINKING " issue

Postby Stranger » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:02 pm

Hello Adrian and welcome along :tu

2000 would be a Mk I, I had a coupe and it was a superb car, still miss it tbh.

It shouldn't be pinking as the ECU shouldn't allow it however, I can't offer any advice, hopefully someone will be along with ideas soon enough.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

adrianallen

Postby adrianallen » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:06 am

My mistake ... The car in question is a Megane MK 1 ... its a saloon version too, which seems quite rare in my opinion.

Adrian

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:59 pm

No worries, Mk I owners are welcome too, d'ya know someone I used to work with had a Mk I saloon, small world.

Hope someone knowledgable comes along soon to give you some ideas :-)
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Return to “Introductions”