Crackling Speakers

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

downsyndromedhorse
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 120 BHP

Crackling Speakers

Postby downsyndromedhorse » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:25 am

Morning people.

About a month ago my standard headunit(Tuner list) started making a horrendous crackling noise when the volume went to about 16. This included the tweeters, front and rears. I had to have it on quiet. I checked connections, checked the sub and amp, but nothing was loose. Then miraculous one morning it was fine, absolutely nothing wrong, i even cranked it up to about 26 on the volume and nothing!

I then invested in a jvc KD-R401, (was on offer in halfords and i may have blown up my standard one :roll: ). Everything was fine, then when i started the car last night... Guess what, the noise is back. I checked my amp for the connections and everything is fine; i dont get it? I could understand if i still had the tunerlist, but its a new one now!

I do have one slight incline to something though.. I took it through a car wash yesterday and i have a feeling its connected in someway. I cant remember if i washed my car when it happened the first time. Anyone had problems before with this?

Ooh on friday i also connected the aerial up to the new head unit as i had been waiting for an iso-din adaptor, could the connection at the aerial be wet and causing then problem?

Wow i wrote a lot.
3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 160Bhp(ish) - K&N Panel Filter - Full HID Conversion - Pioneer TS-Q131C - Koni -35mm lowering Springs - JVC Head unit - EGR Blanked - Decat fitted

theV
Currently Drives:: 2003's Renault Megane II 1.6 16V Luxe Privilege

Re: Crackling Speakers

Postby theV » Mon May 03, 2010 6:19 pm

IMHO when crackling is heard, some connection is loose and loosing contact OR somewhere the "hot" wire is intermittenly shorting to ground; maybe there's damaged sheath somewhere along the wire.

Even if the connections seem fine, In your place I would inspect thoroughly the wires - especially near metal frames etc. - , crimp again (make them tighter) every connector, and finally spray a generous amount of a good electric/electronic contact cleaner (the best for me is hte one which does NOT leave any residue or "protective film") on unplugged contacts, before pugging them again.
2003 Renault Megane II 1.6 16V Luxe Privilege; LPG

downsyndromedhorse
Pass Plus

Postby downsyndromedhorse » Tue May 04, 2010 8:05 am

Cheers I will check my wiring.
The noise went away last week and was perfectly fine, then last night on the way home, the HU and clock went off without warning checked the fuse and it had blown? Replaced it with a spare and the crackling noise is back!

I'll go round the car and check all the wiring... Its very frustrating!
3DR Black 1.9dci Megane 04 Plate 160Bhp(ish) - K&N Panel Filter - Full HID Conversion - Pioneer TS-Q131C - Koni -35mm lowering Springs - JVC Head unit - EGR Blanked - Decat fitted

downsyndromedhorse
Pass Plus

Postby downsyndromedhorse » Tue May 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Had a quick check on lunch,

The rear speakers wire had snagged on the rear seat(cable dropped down underneath), i had the seats down over the weekend to go to ikea, i must have caught them, wired them back up and it sound like the rears have actually blown! So i've disconnected them and set the fader to the front two, crackling has gone!

I'll leave them as they are, never use the rears anyway and the sub more than makes up for them.

Cheers for your help

Return to “ICE”