Tax Free 7691M 7" RENAULT MEGANE HD Car DVD CD Stereo GPS SAT NAV 3G Autoradio

In Car Entertainment stuff (speakers/stereo/sat nav/etc...).

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

colinrichard
Currently Drives:: Megane II 2008 1.9DCi Sport Tourer

Tax Free 7691M 7" RENAULT MEGANE HD Car DVD CD Stereo GPS SAT NAV 3G Autoradio

Postby colinrichard » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:21 pm

This is a comprehensive low priced piece of kit, available on eBay with no import duty payable. However it's not without it's problems in installation - at least, the one I received wasn't! I run a 2008 Megane II Sport Tourer with the VDO "Update List" radio/CD. This Chinese made unit is supposed to fit straight in and everything including steering controls are supposed to work. However, I had several problems - the first was that the radio came on at a high volume setting as soon as I turned on the ignition. And after scanning the FM band it found only 3 stations and none on AM. Adjusting volume and equalizer settings was easy but after switching off and on again the settings had been lost. And the steering controls no longer worked although they initially did.
The lack of stations was traced to insufficient signal from the aerial - the reason being that the aerial on my car has an amplifier in the base and the new radio did not provide a supply to it. I remedied that by fitting the requisite pin 5 in the ISO power connector "A" and using the "amp control" blue wire from the radio to supply 12 volts.
The radio then received loads of stations correctly, but I still had the problems of loss of settings on switch off and intermittent steering control operation. Studying the radio wiring I noticed that the pins for the permanent (memory) 12 V supply "B+" and the ignition switched supply "ACC" were reversed in the ISO power connector "A" supplied with the new unit. I decided to change these around - the pins can be removed using a jeweller's screwdriver's blade to depress the barb that holds them in place. I swapped pins 4 and 7 round - and checked the radio again.
Finally everything worked - settings were stored, steering controls worked all the time (although they're sluggish, but this seem normal for all after-fit HU's). The last problem was making the unit clip in properly- to start with it would hold at all - this is because the design and spacing of the spring clips is poor and the thickness of the plastic in the car too fat for them to engage. Cutting and trimming finally overcame this.
In all I spent several days sorting it out - the help from the Chinese sellers was pretty non-existent (nobody else have this problem - you very unlucky guy!).
I've written this to help anyone else who buys one of these units and hits similar snags, which I'm pretty sure they will, since the photos on the seller's website show the ISO connector and you can see, if you study it carefully, that the B+ and ACC wires are wrong! (The supplier has now said they will review the wiring although I get the impression that they think that they have it right already!).
The good thing about this piece of kit is that it's cheap, comprehensive and works well once it's sorted. The radio, CD, Bluetooth and Satnav all function well, and It's got a 2.5 year warranty (Ha Ha)

WildWildWomble
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane CC 1.6 VVT

Re: Tax Free 7691M 7" RENAULT MEGANE HD Car DVD CD Stereo GPS SAT NAV 3G Autoradio

Postby WildWildWomble » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:08 am

Hello,
I know your post was a long time ago but do you still have this installed (assuming you have the car still) and if so how have you found it after this amount of time?
I am looking to get one of these to as just brought a Mk2 CC and want a satnav but am concerned I'm paying over £300 for something not worth the money from a Chinese supplier ....
Thanks
Drew

Return to “ICE”