Lowering and spacers?

For all stuff related to modifying your car

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Lowering and spacers?

Postby q292u » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:15 pm

I've recently bought a Megane 2 1.6 with standard alloys.
I was looking at it in bright sunshine yesterday and it occurred to me how MASSIVE the arches are..
The alloys don't "fill" the arches, and there's way too much gap between wheel and arch.
What kind of lowering kit should I be looking at? (how low is sensible?), and are spacers a good idea? If so, how wide should spacers be?
Any advice appreciated.

ibiker

Re: Lowering and spacers?

Postby ibiker » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:25 pm

I lowered mine by buying a kit, springs and shocks together, cost about £300 which was a bargain. Handling was improved no end with the 35mm drop, but even that's enough to make you drive carefully over speed bumps!!

Lothapeti
Currently Drives:: 2004 megane grandtour 1.9 dci 120hp

Postby Lothapeti » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:39 pm

Hi there,
I need some technical help: I want to lower my megane ii with air bags, but i haven't found anything.. :banghead I want to do it myself but I need some pics from the front and rear air bag setup.. Does anybody have airride in Megane mk2? I have already Eibach 30/30 springs but they are not good :(
Greetings from Hungary!

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:30 pm

ibiker wrote:I lowered mine by buying a kit, springs and shocks together, cost about £300 which was a bargain. Handling was improved no end with the 35mm drop, but even that's enough to make you drive carefully over speed bumps!!

I only paid £600 for the car! £300 is way too much..

ibiker

Postby ibiker » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:14 pm

£300 was a good price for both springs and shocks set! If you keep looking on eBay and Facebook groups you might find a bargin the mate.

neil_lindo
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II

Postby neil_lindo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:12 am

Lothapeti wrote:Hi there,
I need some technical help: I want to lower my megane ii with air bags, but i don't have found anything.. :banghead I want to do it myself but I need some pics from the front and rear air bag setup.. Does anybody have airride in Megane mk2? I have already Eibach 30/30 springs but they are not good :(
Greatings from Hungary!

I ended bagging mine back in 2011 and it has been interesting over the years. I must say that now I feel I have all the kinks worked out and everything works perfect. Back then there were no bolt on kits (not sure if there are any now) so I used bags from universalairsusupension and ended up creating brackets for the back and welding brackets onto new front struts to make everything work. Next challenge was with the top strut mounts as you can't use the stock ones. I ended up using a integrated engineering camber plate for a vw which i had to modify the car a bit more to fit them. Overall with all the work that i have done this is no task for the average Joe. Just to get everything at the right height there was constant cutting and changing stuff. I think I spent the most time on the top strut mounts and in the end the vw camberplate is what I should have started off with. Now that's just the bags and mounts.. you still need a management system to make it all work. To keep with the original post I am using 1/4" spacers in the front and 1/2" spacers in the rear. I am running 225/35/20 tires on 7.5" rims at around 40mm offset so in the rear with the 1/2 spacers the wheels tuck in nice. Obviously if you can buy rims with a closer offset then no spacers would be required but theirs a lot of measuring involved to get this right.

Return to “Modifications”