Buying my first car. Should I go Megane?

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mshahroozi
Currently Drives:: Nothing yet!

Buying my first car. Should I go Megane?

Postby mshahroozi » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi there,

Turning 17 in March and I'm currently on the search for my first car, as the parents won't let me near their's. ;-) Several options on my list but I like the Megane II the best out of the lot.

I have a £3,000 budget, but I don't want to HAVE to spend all of it. :roll:

Would a 2004 Megane 1.5dci (80 or 100) Dynamique Sporthatch be a wise buy? Wouldn't want to buy one and it to go wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated on either problems to look out for or general buying advice :D

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: Buying my first car. Should I go Megane?

Postby Stranger » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:09 am

With what you'll be paying in insurance I would have thought you'll be lucky to get an old 1.0 micra. After the bad winter last year insurance premiums have rocketed (as if insurance companies needed an excuse to sting us even more).

The 1.5dCi Meg is a nice car however, I'm sorry to say this on a Renault forum but your first car is better off being something like the above mentioned Micra or a Vauxhall or a Ford, preferebaly the latter in my eyes. Cheap to run, cheap to repair and often cheaper to insurance than anything else.

I know what I was like at 17 ( :? it's so many years ago it doesn't bear thinking about) but believe me you want something cheap and cheerful not something beautiful and expensive.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:42 am

I have a 1.5 dci it's an extreme version, I love it, modefied it to look like the 230. It drives great, before this car I had a alfa 147-1.6 twin spark n I feel that this mid range out performs it, mpg is certainly better I average 48 in the alfa arround 21! Lol, I would say go for it, I haven't once had an issue with mine!

mshahroozi

Postby mshahroozi » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:21 pm

Stranger wrote:old 1.0 micra

The words I dread to hear. :-( Haha! Most people want a Mini or Corsa, but I've never heard anyone my age wanting a Megane!

joeishmather - How did you get a 230 kit?! I would be interested in doing something like that. Also is the 1.5 good on the A roads? I need to travel quite a lot in the coming year and need an economical and refined car for that

Thank you :-)

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Stranger wrote:With what you'll be paying in insurance I would have thought you'll be lucky to get an old 1.0 micra.

I entered you as a builder aged 17 with no claims discount on a 3 door 1.5dci 80bhp and got the following cheapest insurance (fully comprehensive):

£4,910.16

The Megane is an excellent car and you might get different results depending on what details you enter (tip: put your parents on as named drivers - this often brings the cost down).

Good luck!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

mshahroozi

Postby mshahroozi » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:38 pm

Is it considered as fraud if I put parents as the policy holders? The car isn't going to be in my name anyways.

Hopefully, I can get insured on anything for £1000 as a seconded driver. If not, I'm in a bit of a jam. :oops:

joeishmather
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: 57 megane with roof, engine, wheels, doors... All the usual things.

Postby joeishmather » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:48 pm

Insurence is an arse when your starting gets better tho, helps if some old tw@ doesn't crashbinto you n ruin ur no claims! Lol
I do arround 300 miles a week mainly motorway, 90mph is ok anything over takes a while!lol

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:45 pm

mshahroozi wrote:Is it considered as fraud if I put parents as the policy holders?

If you are the registered keeper and insure yourself as a named driver, then that is bad. I think. Best check the small print of the policy.

joeishmather
F1 Driver

Postby joeishmather » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:53 am

Don't think he's intending to be the named owner... I'd just get parents insured, normally mother as it's cheeper n then be named driver :-) no problem there, the only thing is that generaly the policies state that the named driver should be doing considerably less milage than the main policy holder, but tbh I don't see how they could ever tell or prove it...

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:39 pm

joeishmather wrote:Don't think he's intending to be the named owner... I'd just get parents insured, normally mother as it's cheeper n then be named driver :-) no problem there, the only thing is that generaly the policies state that the named driver should be doing considerably less milage than the main policy holder, but tbh I don't see how they could ever tell or prove it...

Aye! Put my mum and dad (both 65+ with clean licenses) on my policy and watched a nice ton drop off. £220 doesn't seem bad for 120 horses.

mshahroozi

Postby mshahroozi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Going tomorrow to look at a possible car, a Clio 1.5 dci 65 Dynamique, to see what the size is like. I'm 6ft and want to see if I fit :D . I know this is a Megane forum, but is there anything I need to look out for on a Clio?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:46 pm

mshahroozi wrote:Going tomorrow to look at a possible car, a Clio 1.5 dci 65 Dynamique, to see what the size is like. I'm 6ft and want to see if I fit :D . I know this is a Megane forum, but is there anything I need to look out for on a Clio?

Make sure the service book is stamped up and all oil changes are accounted for (ideally 9k MAX between not 18k) - ask what grade oil is in it. Has the EGR valve been cleaned? Scratched heads at this question is bad. Check every single piece of electronics - windows, bulbs, the works. Good luck!

mshahroozi

Postby mshahroozi » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Went to see Clio, dealership was shut, so going back to see it on Wednesday.

With regards to the EGR Valve, if it's not been cleaned, is it a DIY job?

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:37 pm

mshahroozi wrote:Went to see Clio, dealership was shut, so going back to see it on Wednesday.

With regards to the EGR Valve, if it's not been cleaned, is it a DIY job?

Erm.. don't know - I'm not familiar with the Clio or the 1.5, but you just need a couple of spanners for the 1.9 Megane. I can't imagine it would be much different on the car you are looking at. Unplug the connector, remove three 10mm bolts, pull out of manifold, clean, replace.

Here is where it is on the 1.9:

And this is it ready to be cleaned:

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”