Megane 1.9dci advice?

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

endeekay
Currently Drives:: Audi A6 Quattro
Clio 1.5dci

Megane 1.9dci advice?

Postby endeekay » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:45 am

Hey guys,
I'm looking at a 2004 Renault Megane 1.9dci with a 140kms on the clock, as a city runabout. I average about 120kms a day, mostly city driving.
I'm not looking to replace the the Audi or Clio, but I want to get something like this to take the beating in traffic everyday. The Clio is 1.5dci and is a joy to drive in traffic, hence me looking at another diesel.

So, does anyone have any experience with these?
I have read some turbo eating stories. But not sure if it is year related?
They seem like decent performers with good economy, and I will be doing maintenance myself as Renault dealers are useless. But I would like some opinions.
Can anyone shed some light on these?
Thanks in advance!
:grin

Boomstyliemikey
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 1.9 130 , remapped, DPF removed, Panel filter, double din

Re: Megane 1.9dci advice?

Postby Boomstyliemikey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:54 am

Hi There
I have a 1.9 which was the DPF version and learnt the hard way with massive repair bills. I eventually ended up paying to have it removed. So If you are going to be using it in traffic first and foremost make sure it is a non dpf version you get. The DPF clogs up easily and this is more so the case if you can not give the car a good thrashing down the motorway every once in a while. The 1.9 is very nippy but im just wondering if you going to be using it in traffic would a 1.5 not be more economical?

I love my car and touch wood have had no serious problems (That werent my fault) I've had it remapped and the turbo is fine ect. I get around 35mpg when sitting in traffic but this goes up to 55-60 on long runs down the motorway.

I hope this helps you anyway. You will be getting a lovely car

Michael
1.9 dci dynamique, originally 130bhp. Remapped, DPF removed, Pipercross panel filter.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17209

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Yes, they are great runners. Like all cars, you 'get to know' them. Just pay attention to the service history and check that everything electrical works flawlessly...
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

starspud
Currently Drives:: Laguna 2, soon to be Megane CC

Postby starspud » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi, i'm just transitioning over from a 1.9dci Laguna 2 over to a megane convertible (petrol) and noticed your post.

Assuming the engines are the same (mine was 1.9dci, 6 speed box) mine has been fantastic in the time i've had it (nearly 3 years). However... they aren't particularly great on Diesel around town.. mine averages 33mpg, which although rather good for the size, is imo rather poor in the scheme of things. Get it on the motorway and in 6th gear and 50mpg is there, quiet to.

If i was doing it again i'd get a 1.5dci. In fact i wish that i'd found a cheap megane convertible 1.5dci (if there is one), because i'd have much preferred that (Along with the lower tax as well)

Hope this helps a little
Bazza

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”