To buy or not to buy?

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

welshrhys
Currently Drives:: Nothing as im looking for a new car after having my astra written off.

To buy or not to buy?

Postby welshrhys » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi all,

Basically after gettingn my astrsa written of :( we are looking for a new car (me and the missus and our baby) we both really like the meganes, we have got an 04 plate 1.6 dynamique vvt 61K on the clock in mind, it falls into out price range and got a great deal on the insurance. But after reading so many horror stories about endless faults and endless garage bills i must admit it has put me right off them, now are these common faults reallythat common or am i just hearing all the bad points about these cars? I know each car is different and its impossible to say that every megane out there WILL have these problems, ive seen it in the past with all different cars. So the question i put to you guys 'n' gals is this:

If after owning one of these cars that has had all the common faults, all the garage costs and your car was involved in an accident/stolen/lost (something of that nature) would you buy another one? Bearing in mind that the one i am considering buying is from a private sale so no warranty. Cant afford to get one from a dealership.

Thanks for taking your time to read this and thank you for your answers,

Rhys Joseph

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Re: To buy or not to buy?

Postby morganjake1544 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:55 pm

We've had ours from new (11/11/2005) and yes, I would have another one.

BUT. I wouldn't buy an 8 yr old one.

Ours has been treated with kid gloves and only has 35k on the clock which is why it's all in good shape, but Meganes do not like rough treatment and 60k and 8 yrs would be a bit too much water under the bridge for me.

The Achilles heel is the electrics so if you do go ahead make sure everything works and that you get two keycards.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:42 pm

The car is rated by NCAP as being one of the safest in its class. That is the good news - and I'm assuming you have this is mind with regard to your family.

To be honest, all cars have faults. One only needs to read any marque's forum to find such problems. The post above is instructive - ensure every last thing you can possibly check, electrically speaking works. Aside from the usual 'tyre kicking' tests, there is nothing more (assuming you are not a mechanic) that you could check - aside from a book full of instructions, that you could read on here.

Yes, electrical problems exist, as do some of the well known common mechanical issues. But theses are nor exclusive to Renault.

In answer to your question: would I buy another? Yes, and I have done so. Better the enemy you know....

The Megane is a good car if driven, operated and serviced well. This is the information you need to study.

Post back any questions, they will surely be answered.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

welshrhys
Currently Drives:: Nothing as im looking for a new car after having my astra written off.

Postby welshrhys » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, been a put a deposit on one today, 04 plate 53k on the clock different one to the original one we looked at. I gave it a good looking over and picked up a few minor issues which the garage is going to put right, all electrics worked fine, took my fault code reader with me and I came up 0 which is a good sign. Test drive was lovely, comes with two key cards :) only problem that the garage said they wont be able to do is the clips that hold on the string toggles for the rear parcel shelf have both been snapped off, does anyone know if these are easy to replace? Can't wait to pick her up now next week!

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”