help!

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

suzymccutcheon
Currently Drives:: Micra

big decisions

Postby suzymccutcheon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi, Im looking at buying the renault megane, 'shaking that as' advert, but i need help. I've been told to steer clear of renaults as there often un reliable and always in the garage, just need some advice really also.i need an autmagic, should i steer clear or make a jump to a renault HELP!

peter h
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.6 VVT Dynamique Auto

Re: big decisions

Postby peter h » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:12 pm

My renault is great 1.6vvt dynamique S 2008 (57Plate) and only had 1 problem... a window regulator.

Make sure you buy one with low mileage, and as new as possible. the newer models seem to have less issues, but then im sure someone will point out how wrong i am.

So far for me £ 170 in parts is my annual pay out.

Derekosb
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane CC 1.9 DCi Dynamique
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq12 ... eStrip.jpg

Re: big decisions

Postby Derekosb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:56 pm

It really pays to look around and make sure you get a good one.

My wife had a 1.4 (53 plate) Authentique for nearly 5 years. In that time it needed one window regulator (well known Megane weakness), 2 coil packs and the handbrake handle replaced. Anything else was routine maintenance. She loved it.

We replaced that with a 56 plate Scenic and got 2 years warranty (Arnold Clark). It has just passed 2 years in our ownership and we have not had to make a single claim under the warranty or needed anything bar routine maintenance and tyres.

I have just purchased a 57 plate Megane CC 1.9 DCi so am hoping our run of reliability continues. Again I have a 2 year warranty (this time with Phoenix) and hope not to need it.

Condition and maintenance are key. I would say if it looks too cheap it will be for a reason.

HTH

Derek

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: help!

Postby davelowe » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:58 pm

All I can say is to check the service intervals, especially for oil changes (18k miles is a big no). Check also, that every electronic device works flawlessly. Take a test drive. Do not get fobbed off with excuses about 'oh we'll see to that' - warning lights are there for a reason.

Consider what engine suits your purpose. The 1.4 is good for short runs (most often reported problem is dirty throttle body - an easy fix), the 1.6 suffers mostly from dephaser issues (expensive), and the diesels (1.5/1.9) have problems with the turbos if not serviced properly. In the latter case, use your ears: whistling is fine, whining or other loud noises indicate a lemon.

Hope you get one - they are no worse than any other marque in my experience!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”