Waterproofing electrics/electronics

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

mrjohnson99
Currently Drives:: Citroen, but looking for Megane 1.5dci tourer

Waterproofing electrics/electronics

Postby mrjohnson99 » Wed May 02, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm winding up to buying either a Focus 1.6 tdci estate (prone to exploding turbos due to blocked oil feed) or a Megane II 1.5 dci Tourer (prone to electrical glitches). For the Renault, I'd be aiming to find one 3 or 4 years old which has recently been through its major 96k service and had the cambelt done.

Has anyone tried waterproofing the sensitive components (e.g. window controllers) with silicone spray or WD40, or even wrapping in that self bonding gooey insulating/waterproofing tape? Any reason not to?

I also want to avoid a car with a DPF....I don't think any of the 1.5dcis have this. Am I correct?

Thanks

Martyn

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Re: Waterproofing electrics/electronics

Postby morganjake1544 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:34 pm

Some people have wrapped the window electrics in the doors using various tape/plastic, usually with some success. It can't hurt. I wouldn't bother with silicone spray or WD40, very temporary solution.

All Mk II 1.5dci engines are free from DPFs. Introduced on Mk III 1.5s.

:)

BTW Cambelt is 72k.
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

mrjohnson99
Currently Drives:: Citroen, but looking for Megane 1.5dci tourer

Postby mrjohnson99 » Wed May 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Thanks.

Got the cambelt mileage off the renault site using

login>owner services>my renault>adding a registration>download servicing and maintenance program

for a 2008 car that's for sale.

Formatting wrong, but you'll see the mileage.

VIN NO: VF1KMSEC640744531
MAINTENANCE PROGRAMME FOR YOUR VEHICLE
OPERATIONS TO BE CARRIED OUT AT THE MILEAGE OR TIME INTERVAL, WHICHEVER IS REACHED FIRST: every
(miles)
Or at (years):
The maintenance programme, the intervals and the standards for products and consumables, must be observed during the warranty
period and apply in the country where your vehicle was sold. Outside the country of origin, please consult a representative for the brand.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Replace the oil filter 18000 • • • • • • • • • • • •
Renault Service 18000 • • • • • • • • • • • •
Replace the cabin filter 18000 • • • • • • • • • • • •
Drain the engine oil 18000 • • • • • • • • • • • •
Replace the air filter 36000 • • •
Replace the fuel filter 36000
Check and remove dust from drum brake linings 54000
Replace the coolant 72000 • • •
Replace the brake fluid 72000 • • •
Replace the timing belt and rollers 96000 • •
Replace the accessories belt and rollers 96000 • •
THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS MUST BE CARRIED OUT DURING THE SERVICE:
Documentation and positioning of the maintenance label Check and lubricate the bonnet lock
Check the condition and sealing of the gaiters/rubber mountings/ball joints/shock absorbers Check the computers with the diagnostic tool
Check the 12 V battery with the test tool Anti-corrosion check
Check the presence of the airbag and engine compartment labels Check the presence of the wheel valve caps
Check the levels, condition and sealing of the brake/clutch circuit Check the exhaust pipe
Check the operation of the instrument panel warning lights Check the condition of the windscreen and door mirrors
Check the wiper blades and screen washer fluid levels Check the signalling and exterior/interior lighting
Check the wear of the brake discs and pads Check the condition and pressure of the tyres and road wheel security
Check the levels, condition and sealing of the cooling circuit Drain the water from the fuel filter
Reinitialise the maintenance/oil service display
Important: The manufacturer recommends adapting the replacement frequency for certain parts or fluids that are affected by particular conditions of use. Please refer to the attached sheet
for further details

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:13 pm

This is the service book from mine. I can't believe they increased intervals for Phase 2 models! It's a brave man who takes his belts up to 96k. Also, I personally disagree with the 18k oil and filter changes, should be half that in my opinion. Maybe Renault want the extra repair work when the whole thing goes BANG!. :eek

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=29&with_photo_id=52715212&order=date_desc&user=1524486

:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”