Engines and endurance

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

zvone

Engines and endurance

Postby zvone » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:22 pm

I am planning to buy Renault Megane 2003-2005.
Which engine do you recommend to buy with Megane? Is any of theese engines expected to reach 300 000 km without expensive repair projects?

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Re: Engines and endurance

Postby taffyhl » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:16 pm

If you could find a very, very well looked after Megane then maybe but I doubt it. My advise would be to buy a Honda or early Nissan (before they joined forces with Renault and started using the same dodgy electrics)!

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:00 pm

1.9dci without FAP, e.g. F9Q-800 or a 2L petrol. It is important that these engines were serviced with fully synthetic oil at half intervals, OEM filters, belts, etc. RS versions are built at a better factory in Dieppe, they are more reliable but often abused. Avoid sedans - they are built in Turkey.

It is true what taffyhl whote - most Renaults in the UK are either abused or badly abused. You will need to find one which was not.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Bigglemate
Currently Drives:: Megane II 04 plate classic style

Postby Bigglemate » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:50 am

Having worked for a consortium of major French capitol equipment engineers
one immediately should realise, they (FrencH)are exceptional engineers. BUT
some of their thinking is well in advance of the market place. Naturally this can be
an advantage. My first enlightenment was with the Citron Club, my company
even employed its own fleet engineer. Such was the, then lack of motor
maintenance fitters used to working on this mark. Eventually I went for Renault,
my French concern (like many ) majored on Renault. Fr.companies seemed to all
go for a particular make, unlike UK. Where the car parks are a total mixture.
But down to advice, plus what to buy.
I relate only MY OWN experience. 1. I've had five Renaults. 2. One just
stopped one cold winters day. 3.One was smashed up from behind on a motorway
slip road.
Currently a Megane 1600 built 2003 registered 04 Plate. 1600 Sedan - like a 'normal'
car, not the chopped up rear , that Renault brought out, later to be smoothed over!
Renaults are more complicated than my other previous cars I've worked on. In the
past Rover, Volkswagon (rust), Austin, Triumph (Junk). Driving 60 years
Son in law now has a Renault. His choice, I did not influence him one bit.
So why did I chose Renault
a. Style b. extras c. designed to be used in France initially, so tend to be robust.
d. A nice ride. Certainly the Megane saloon I have suits my family well.
Caution:-
The cam belt disaster in my second car (2.)cost me dear. The vehicle looked
pristine. But I had omitted to renew the CAM BELT. This is completely
necessary whilst other engines one can have a cam belt break yet the repairs are less.
With the Renault engine design - a broken cam belt - is a knackered engine.
Repairable yes- Though a massive bill.
So - Check the mileage/ age of the cam belt. Do I hear you query age?
Yes! Irrespective of low mileage on a belt, you need to be aware of Renault advice
on mileage (logical!) PLUS the age of the belt.
Replacing it your yourself is not easy however there are plenty of good parts
manufacturers as well as genuine Renault parts. Its as vital you attend to this
as vital as putting in oil, water & petrol.
Another item I've come across is water leakage into the body - doors plus spare
tyre well in the boot. Both easily fixed.
Finally the Megane engine uses an electronic system that means, a cigar shaped
device on each spark plug - these ignition HT coils - can fail - but are easily replaced.
Old systen was a coil with thick wires to each plug.You will note the wires to the
Renault plus are very thin since they are low voltage.
The advice is replace all four if one fails, I found a non Renault excellent clone.
A fraction of the normal price.

Would I buy another Renault Yes! All makes have car have particular problems. Part
of ensuring your Renault is fit & well , is learning about its particular needs then
looking & continually addressing them.
Good luck with your quest - By the way.
Like any vehicle using electronic keys - loosing these devices is extremely expensive.
StanC

eric
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane lldci

Postby eric » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:50 pm

I have also bought a Renault which I plan to keep for a few years (I had my last car for 9 years so this maybe possible again).

Its a 1.5 dci 06 plate with 135kmiles at the moment ( already had it over a year), its good on fuel (average 60mpg) and is an estate which is handy.

Iv'e been good and had the cambelt done, but what can I expect in the years to come? Can I assume its on its original clutch as theres no mention of it being changed in the past so I'll be doing that soon.

How long do people usually keep there Renaults before they go mad :D

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Postby taffyhl » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:15 am

Well I've had my 2004 1.9dci for 2 years and 26k(total now 111k). Paid £1700 for it from a colleague and it came with FSH.

To be fair it has never broken down and is still good on diesel but it's always used oil and continues to do so. Every few months I clean the EGR valve and intercooler out. The latter just gets sooty, the former gets some oil in it. It may be the recon turbo fitted at 80k or blocked breathers/cat/exhaust (I've cleaned the breathers, cat next) and it runs rough in town following a long motorway run (fine if my last journey was a short one..). I've changed the EGR valve but otherwise had to spend little on parts with the last MOT costing me £140, which isn't bad for a 10 year old car.

Basically I plan to keep running it until something significant goes and then scrap it. If it last another year I'll be very happy, if not still not done too badly! I won't buy a French car again however, back to Japanese for me.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:32 am

1.9DCi boughrt 7 years ago now on 125k always use OE cambelt kits on her had a new aftermarket egr valve last year goes through bottom ball joints and track control arms on a regular basis but to be fair they are CES issue apart from that all quite good hands free locking on the driver side gave up years ago other than that rest is good oh apart from the HUD which gave up and lifted £145 from my pocket as it is the sat nav version so none on ebay or scrap yards the leather on the driver seat is wearing to a hole on the back rest bolster and around 100k it blew a hydraulic roof hose and boy does the oil smell my only complaint is rear tyre wear which you can't do much about. I have lowered her on standard shocks but ventura 10mm springs and she now handles a treat the down side the cc hasn't much clearance as it is now has 10mm less and great care has to be taken other wise the support under the car bottoms out on speed humps etc so all in all pleased with her and would have another.

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”