Fap or Non Fap?

Any questions you may have before you buy or receive your car can go in here!!

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

kazcab

Fap or Non Fap?

Postby kazcab » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:59 pm

Ive just taken delivery of my new 1.9dci megane CC from a non franchised source.
Im trying to work out when my first service would be due 9k or 12k but i cant find out if the cars non fap or not. After reading through the forum and Renaults web site, im still non the wiser. So i apply to webcode and ppl in the know if there any simple way to identify i non Fap car?

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:52 pm

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I will be along with a better suggestion but incase not; make a note of the engine and chassis number, ring Renault UK and ask them whether it is or isn't FAP.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:28 am

Hi and welcome to the club.

Open your drivers door and on the door pillar should be a sticker detailing the model and engine of your car. I'm not sure if it will say FAP or not, but it's worth a look. If you look on your trip computer at "miles to next service" then that should give you a better indication. If you've got less than 12000 to go then it's NONE FAP if it's less than 9000 then it's FAP fitted, assuming that it's brand new with very few miles on the clock. either way you can worki it out from the mileage covered to the mileage remaining.

If this still reveals nothing then it's a trip to a Renault dealer for a VIN check, they will be able to tell from your chassis number, what it is.

If it does turn out to be FAP fitted then there are some very specific operating instructions. See: - https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=2055
and you must use a fully synthetic 5W30/0W30 oil that meets the ACEA C3 standard low SAPS. (BUT ONLY IF ITS FAP FITTED)
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

chris rte

Postby chris rte » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:27 pm

hi there,
what hp is your car if it is 120 it wont have fap if it is 130 it will have
regards chris

kazcab

Postby kazcab » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:33 pm

Thanks for help, as IainMW mentioned regarding the service indicator reading 9000 miles which has started my doubts. The supplier said it was non fap but with the service indicator reading 9000 miles and the service booklet that came with the car also details information regarding the fap.
I suppose the only way to find out for certain is to give renault my vin number which still wouldnt be complete proof in my eyes. The reason i am so concerned is i do very little mileage but sold my 1.6vvt cc coz i just couldnt handle the very low power. tested the 2.0vvt and 1.9dci and there was no contest. Hence 1.9dci but needed non fap !!!

kazcab

Postby kazcab » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:08 pm

Please Help !!!
Spoke to Renaukt UK and gave my vin number and got 2 different answers from 2 different people there.
If they dont know how am i expected to know.
Dealer still swears its non fap although i have noticed he has removed the non fap from his advert.
Its looking bad for me as the service indicator is set for 9000 miles but i wish i could find an definate answer to this question.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:38 am

A phrase with Arse and Elbow! in it springs to mind :roll:

Can I suggest you go to a Renault dealership and get them to do a chassis number check. That way if your're still not convinced you can get a technician to physicaly check your car to see if it's FAP fitted.
My guess is that it is FAP fitted with the service indicator being set at 9000 miles.

What are your major concerns about this if it does turn out to be a FAP model?
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Return to “Pre Ownership Questions”