Safe jacking / Axle stand points ?

Discussions around the Mégane 225.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

AMT1989
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Sport 225 silver (standard)

Safe jacking / Axle stand points ?

Postby AMT1989 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:20 pm

i am too afraid to place axle stands in any of the places under the car except the jacking points, this leaves me with the back of the car on axle stands and the front on 2 different jacks while doing work to the car

can anyone provide me with a diagram / photo showing safe lifting and axle stand points for a 2005 megane 225 please ?

the rear axle has a plastic surround

ive heard people talking about using the sub frame and parts of the frame that stick out and look solid particularly behind the front jacking points

but if anyone could help i would be very happy
thanks

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: Safe jacking / Axle stand points ?

Postby davelowe » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 pm

Working with the car on jacks is more dangerous than using axle stands. The correct location for the jacking points is in the manual that comes with the car. However, these pinch weld locations are only really suitable within reason for the tyre change jack - something you should not rely on when under the vehicle.

On my car, there is a very substantial U section channel that runs the length from front to back. This is re-enforced. Normally I would position my trolley jack under the front wishbone mounting nut, raise it, then let it down gently onto this U channel.

As a rule of thumb, find something that the wheel is attached to and jack up from there. Then, when lowering the jack onto axle stands, observe for any distortion of what it it sitting on. Avoid flat things such as the floor pan.

If you feel uncomfortable, leave the jacks in place with a tiny gap, and give the car a reasonable push. Small movement is inevitable. I've started my engine on jacks before without incident. And, you can always leave the wheels under the sills as a final safeguard.

Personally I hate working underneath cars, but with some practice it becomes easier.

There is probably a page or two in the online manuals about 4 point jack positions, but I don't know where it is.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

AMT1989
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Sport 225 silver (standard)

Postby AMT1989 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:40 am

Thanks for the quick reply

Yes it's horrible working under the car when I know there are only jacks holding It up
Thankfully I don't have to do it very often

I have been worried to put the jack anywhere else other than the main points and the rear axle is covered in plastic Sony can't use that to jack up or use for stands

There is a small section front and back behind the jacking points that looks reinforced and it's about 9 inches long and 2/3 inches wide, I have been looking online but nowhere can I find a manual for the 225 (didn't have one with the car either)

And I can't find the manuals section on here
I may be stupid or blind or both but I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction

davelowe
Driving Legend

Postby davelowe » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:10 pm

The manuals are stickied in the 'problems' forum. There are many pdf files to wade through and many will not be relevant.

As for your jacking point, Put the jack under it, and slowly raise up. If the car goes up at the same rate as the jack, and there is no bending of anything, you are in a good position. Put an axle stand next to the jack and lower it. It should be fine.

I know what you mean about the 'shite' trap plastic tray. You might bend or crack it, but its structurally sound. I have no idea why it is in the design of the car.

One of these days, I'll upload a youtube tutorial on jacking these vehicles up.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Return to “Megane 225”