STEERING NOT LOCKING

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

TightFist9
Currently Drives:: Mégane mk2 1.5dci 2006
Fabia Greenline 1.4 DCI 2008

STEERING NOT LOCKING

Postby TightFist9 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:53 pm

HELLO, ANOTHER WEEK ANOTHER PROBLEM ON OUR MEGANE MK2 1.5DCI EXPRESSION. OVER THE PAST WEEK WE HAVE NOTICED THAT WHEN PARKING THE CAR AFTER REMOVING THE CARD KEY ALTHOUGH THE STEERING LOCK APPEARS TO WORK YOU CAN STILL MOVE THE WHEEL SIDE TO SIDE WITH A CLICKING NOISE. THERE ARE NO MESSAGES DISPLAYED AND THE CAR STILL STARTS. I HAVE LOOKED THRU THE FORUMS- PLENTY OF PEOPLE WITH' STEERING NOT LOCKED' MESSAGES BUT NOT MANY SIMILAR TO OURS. I'M WONDERING IF OURS IS A WARNING OF THE 'STEERING NOT LOCKED' PROB ON THE WAY OR MAYBE THE LOCKING BOLT IS JUST WORN OR STICKING. IS IT POSSIBLE TO JUST LIVE WITH IT BEARING IN MIND THE STEERING LOCK IS PART OF THE MOT ( NOT SURE IF OUR LOCAL GARAGE TEST IT) OR MAYBE TRY TO ACCESS LOCK AND LUBRICATE BOLT? AM ALSO WORRIED ABOUT THE LOCK COMING ON WHILE DRIVING BUT HAVEN'T READ ANYWHERE ANYONE EXPERIENCING THIS YET. ANY IDEAS ANYONE? THANKS

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Re: STEERING NOT LOCKING

Postby freelanderuk » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:22 am

have a search on the forum for people who have had similar problems, there are post about removing and repairing , if i remember correctly if it goes for mot like this it should fail

could you also please not type with cap locks on as its considered shouting :-)
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Postby taffyhl » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:48 am

I had the same problem with my 1.9dci last year. Basically the locking pin had become worn so didn't engage properly.

Options:

1- You can take the lock off, take it apart and grind down the locking pin a bit. Do-able but fiddly so only advised if you are good with a spanner.
2 - Buy a new lock from Renault - around £400 apparently!!!
3 - Buy a cleared 2nd hand lock as they are linked to the ECU. And hope this one works. £60-80 I recall.
4 - Remove the lock from the steering column but keep it connected to the cars electrics as car won't start if completely disconnected.

I chose 4 as this was cheapest, simplest solution. My car isn't worth stealing and if a thief gets past the immobilizer the steering lock isn't going to stop them! Car past MOT fine like that.

Let me know if you are going for 1 and I'll try and find the relevant instructions...

TightFist9
Currently Drives:: Mégane mk2 1.5dci 2006
Fabia Greenline 1.4 DCI 2008

Postby TightFist9 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks for the replies and advice, sorry it took so long to reply and apologies for typing in caps, didn't realise it was bad etiquette- 50yr old & only just working out how to use computers. Back to the car the lock seems to have fixed itself for the minute so will leave alone. Only had car for 9months and am finding that one day a fault will appear and then disappear the next day so am developing the policy learned from old style hgv fitters of 'let it develop son'.
Thanks again

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Postby freelanderuk » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks for the update
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

Return to “Problems / Questions”