Boot Won't Open

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Babararacucudada
Currently Drives:: Megane dynamique

Boot Won't Open

Postby Babararacucudada » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:08 am

The boot on my Megane won't open. The central locking is fine but the boot stays locked. Any suggestions as to how I can open it?

Any help greatfully received.

AussieMeg
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane II Dynamique LX

Re: Boot Won't Open

Postby AussieMeg » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:11 pm

I *think* there is advice in the owners manual about how to release it from inside the car...

sinkers
Currently Drives:: 04 Renault Megane 1.4 Dynamique

Postby sinkers » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:34 am

That's the first thing you do, open the boot from the inside. If you climb in through the back seat and get to the lock you will find a little white piece of plastic in the lock mechanism. Push this piece of plastic to one side and the boot will pop open.

This will give you access to the wiring which is located just under the rear windscreen and is connected to the boot lid. there is a rubber grommit over it. You may need to cut this piece of rubber but this may not be necessary. There are 4 wires inside and one or more may be broken. Reconnect these wires with some connectors and heat shrink if possible then reseal the rubber.

The reason these break is the constant opening and closing of the boot lid.

Hope this helps.

Babararacucudada

Postby Babararacucudada » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:12 pm

Sinkers was close.

I had a look and found nothing obviously wrong. Put my car into the local dealer (who despite having had 48 hours between it being booked in and the timeslot they assigned) failed to look at it for about 5 hours. By the time they found the problem (a fractured wire) there was insufficient time to fix it. That means that my car has had to stay in over the weekend and due to work commitments I won't be able to get it back until Wednesday meanin that they will have had my car for 5 days to do 2 hours (so they say) work!!

They want 230 quid to repair it or 450 to replace the entire loom.

I am a very, very unhappy bunny.

sinkers

Postby sinkers » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:05 pm

They are robbing you blind there. That wire can be found in seconds. Its a ten minute job. I got charged €70 the first time the and the second time I did the job myself. It's really easy to do. I certainly wouldn't be giving them that kind of money. By the way didn't I say the wire was broken? Fractured = broken.

Babararacucudada

Postby Babararacucudada » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:16 pm

sinkers wrote:They are robbing you blind there. That wire can be found in seconds. Its a ten minute job. I got charged €70 the first time the and the second time I did the job myself. It's really easy to do. I certainly wouldn't be giving them that kind of money. By the way didn't I say the wire was broken? Fractured = broken.

Just back and I feel robbed blind and it isn't just the price...

I went to see them last Wednesday. "Can't do it now... how about 10 am Friday?" So I booked it in. By mid-afternoon I had heard nothing so I rang them. "Just gone into the workshop, sir." They eventually got back to me just before 5. Told me what the fault was and that they didn't have time to do it then and couldn't do it Saturday because they were fully booked. "I need the car... can I have a courtesy car for the weekend?" "No sir they are all booked out."

Somewhat disgusted I left the car with them for the weekend. Went to work on Monday. Rang them at 4 pm. "Oh the wiring fault? We haven't had chance to do it yet. It'll be the morning now." Went to work on Tuesday but didn't get home in time to collect it yesterday and am just back, with the car, now.

This is without doubt amongst the most crap service I have ever had the misfortune to be on the wrong end of. Ever. Anywhere.

The guilty party is Vospers (used to be Mumfords) of Plymouth.

Just how do these people get away with it?

sinkers

Postby sinkers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:41 pm

Did you pay them what they wanted?

If you did, thats how they are getting away with it. Didn't have 10 minutes to satisfy a customer. What kind of management have they got running that place? Are they a main Renault dealer? If they are you should get onto Renault U.K. and also the manager needs a good talking to.

Glad you got sorted though.

Next time do it yourself, it really isn't that difficult.

Return to “Problems / Questions”