How To: Initialise windows after disconnecting the battery

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

CrumpetMonster
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane Dynamique 1.6 VVT

Re: How To: Initialise windows after disconnecting the battery

Postby CrumpetMonster » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:22 pm

AlexB wrote:I just discovered that the traditional advice regarding window initialisation is significantly different from the manual. According to the manual the following steps must be performed after re-connecting the battery:

1. Lift the window. It will move in small steps.
2. Once it is fully closed, lift and hold the corresponding switch on the driver's door for longer than 2 seconds.
3. Lower the window fully.
4. Once it is fully open, press and hold the corresponding switch on the driver's door for longer than 2 seconds.

Done! This is for the pulsed window regulators, whose switches have two positions. Check it by gently pressing the driver's switch. You will hear click-click -- two distinct clicks corresponding to two positions. The first is the pulse and the second is the continuous movement mode. So, each switch has two positions down and two positions up in addition to the neutral state.

Note: this can be done for a single window or one window at a time. This is according to the manual -- somebody check it!

Note: I would imagine that if this calibration is incorrect, then the window may go too far, thus triggering the child safety mechanism that causes it to go down immediately. Otherwise, if the window misses the "low" position, then it potentially can damage the mechanism of the regulator -- someone comment on this!

Alex, you are a star :rock

I've just come online after discovering this problem today (although it's first time it's happened after disconnecting the battery) and I've nipped outside and fixed it.

Thanks, the work you do on this site is very much appreciated.

Merry Christmas :cool:

martinvalic
Currently Drives:: Renault Laguna Grandtour Initiale 2.2 dCi

Re: How To: Initialise windows after disconnecting the battery

Postby martinvalic » Thu May 18, 2017 6:06 pm

Great! It works even in 2017. :-)

Return to “Problems / Questions”