megane 2003 handbrake fault - button stuck in

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

moosmum
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.4dci 2003

megane 2003 handbrake fault - button stuck in

Postby moosmum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi everyone
I have a megane diesel for a while now and the handbrake button has decided to stay stuck in, so the only way to apply the handbreak is to wedge the ashtray under the pulled up handle.
I have spoke to a few ppl and been told a few different things, one being - it is a renault only part that is going to cost me £130 plus vat plus and labor to fit and the other that it is possible to unstick it by taking centre console/holder, thing from between seats, out and taking handbrake bit apart and you'll see what to do to fix it??
I was wondering if anyone could help and be a bit more specfic about whether it can be fixed or if it def needs a new part?

Please help!!

Thanks and look forward to your help!

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: megane 2003 handbrake fault - button stuck in

Postby davelowe » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:47 pm

I posted this guide to changing them: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11194

But, there are numerous other threads with fixes. Have a search.

Basically the mechanism inside the handle part fails - the plastic snaps. If you remove the thing, you can fix it with screws and epoxy resin (glue). AlexB has posted much detail on the subject.

If you remove the trim that the handbrake lever slides through, you can press the ratchet onto the cogs. Better than the ashtray method!
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

moosmum
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.4dci 2003

Postby moosmum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:18 pm

Thanks loads! That was just what i needed!

Dont know what i was doing wrong but i couldnt find anything about it, when i knew it must be there somewhere.

Thanks again!

lou x

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:35 pm

I take it your hand brake does not catch the rachet, so you pull it up it just drops again, if so, look at handbrake from driver seat, in the lower position (button side) on the inside of this handle there is a flat plastic cover, you need to remove this cover with a small flat balde screw driver.
To get to it, open arm rest compartment, carefully prise off from the top the cover with the roof switch, window switch and heated seat switches if you have them, top of cover wil opo off forward then you need to lift it up and disconect the coloured switch blocks, once this is off and out of the way you can see more of the hand brake, on the ratchet side you will see a thin pathetic rod which connects the ratchet to the button, it disapears behind a plastic cover, this cover you need to remove, it need a bit of coaxing it basically slides back toward the h/brake, once this is off put your finger on the rod, push back towards rear of car and lift lever, hand brake will now work as usual! to get brake off, don't touch rod just lift lever, if by any chance it does stick a bit coming off apply presure to rod with foward motion whilst lifting lever (it is a two handed afair on and off) once you seee it works leave off little plastic cover on H/Brake and put rest back together until you get another H/Brake it worked for me for two months now, in fact kind of got use to it now but WILL FAIL MOT so need new one........
As you will see H/Brake works as it did before, it only take a little presure to engauge ratchet and will hold as it did before until released, this should get you by for now and also does not need car looking like it is in bits all the time and saves on greasy finger as well.

SO, in short you are applying the presure to the rod now instead of the button, so you push back on the rod with right hand finger whilst lifting lever with left hand - you will feel ratchet clicking on, lever will stay in up postion, Disengauge lift lever (I still press button!!!!) if ratchet does not disengauge apply presure with right hand finger pushing lightly forward whilst lifting lever with left hand once ratchet has lifted from teeth you can let go of rod and lever will drop = brake off, you can get H/Brake off ebay, watch out for price though, remember it is 2nd hand and could suffer same fate, expect to pay between £40 to £85 top end, I did not bother with auctions look for breaking meganes any Megane 2 will do you CC, Hatch, Saloon or Estate, when you find one email the breaker and ask about hand brake, I paid £40 for mine from a breaker.
There is a guide on H/Brake replacement in OWENERSHIP PROBLEMS, I found that you did not need to unpick the gear lever gaitor stiching, do every tihng it tells you bar that, just unclip the ring at the base and lift the up as instructed and leave it there every thing else will swivel around it took me 10 mins to get to it, and about another 15 to finish job simple, the center consul is a bit tight at he back I used a screw driver to lever the back up around where the screws go into it I think it might have been stuck, remember though chock wheels as it will roll away! :grin

Tubusy

Postby Tubusy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:20 pm

davelowe wrote:I posted this guide to changing them: https://meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum/vie ... =2&t=11194

I joined just to say thanks so much for this guide. I was having such problems with the handbreak sticking, and not sticking, and this was a cheap, easy, and quite fun job. Second hand break on ebay, less that £40, as good as new now. :D

Return to “Problems / Questions”