glovebox handle repair [HOW TO]

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

theV
Currently Drives:: 2003's Renault Megane II 1.6 16V Luxe Privilege

glovebox handle repair [HOW TO]

Postby theV » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi everyone,
my 2003 Meggie's falling apart :(

After dephaser (had to renew the whole distribution, only waterpump covered by warranty, total bill: £480), steering box (100% under warranty) and rear shocks (£200), at the moment I have a failed rotary wire in the steering wheel, melted/sticky front door internal handles, dead electric sunroof (luckily stuck closed) and multiple little but annoying noises on the inside.
Oh and even the cigarette lighter has left me :-)
And I also had a spark plug (cylinder no. 1) with azure/whiteish residues on it... I guess a slight principle of gasket failure (no other symptoms though)

I might post help request about some of the above, in the future... especially the minor faults which I could try to fix by myself.

I had more down-time due to unpredictable faults in 1-year ownership with this car than probably with all my four previous ones: Fiat Uno, 205 SX, 205 GTI, Opel Tigra (the latter, 7 years without anything serious)

Anyway,
I recently had the n-th fault when the glovebox handle broke as many of you already know it could happen/have experienced...
At first I got furious and seriously thinking about instantly selling the car in that condition, but then I tried to reason and maybe repair it, and finally succeded in it :D

I still don't know how much it will last, but I (and you who have the same problem) have nothing to loose, since new replacement parts are extremely expensive, more than a day or two of our spare time.

So I took many pictures and made a PDF tutorial about the whole process. ;)
It's ~2.6 MB. You can download it here (sorry but it's a free account, some pop-ups may open on you. If you want to host it or suggest a different hosting, you're welcome):

https://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fdylmqytqvnzwua

First part of it is useful also for changing by yourself the aircon/booth filter (for the less expert users).
On the other hand, it might be pointless for who now has had the fault some time ago: a glovebox which can't stay closed is not something you can postpone (of, say, weeks or months) the repairing of.
2003 Renault Megane II 1.6 16V Luxe Privilege; LPG

davelowe
Driving Legend

Re: glovebox handle repair [HOW TO]

Postby davelowe » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Nice work. I repaired mine using the same procedure a year or so ago. It broke again. What you didn't mention is the shear amount of force and nerve required in separating the two halves of the door - it's a nightmare!

I might have another crack at mine again now I've read your guide. Enjoyed reading it.
Silver 08 plate 5dr 1.5dci Dynamique 106 Tech Run (re-mapped)

Red 03 plate 5dr 1.9 Dynamique dci120

Best advice for Megane owners: sell it before it bankrupts you!

Paddy
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane Saloon 2.0 VVT Dynamique

Postby Paddy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:08 pm

That was nicely put together.

Great job.

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:38 pm

I'm certainly gonna try it, nothing to loose.

BlueMeganeII
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 03 Megane 3 door 2.0 VVT Dynamique - Sunroof, 17" Alloys, Keyless Entry and start
55 Grand Espace Initial, Xenons, Leather, Sunroof, Keyless, Sat Nav, Tyre Pressure sensors, 18" Alloys, Roof spoiler/bars.

Postby BlueMeganeII » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:42 am

Brilliant guide, bust mine open to find part of the plastic bracket gone... So that was that. Purchased another one from ebay now.

FKotze
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.9dci

Postby FKotze » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:33 am

Thank you for the very detailed guide with photos. I repaired mine after reading your guide, I am in South Africa so the glovebox is on the left hand side, but I could easily follow your instructions. It saved me from importing the parts via the Renault dealer.

Babak

Postby Babak » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:08 am

Thanks for the detailed and perfectly-described instructions.

Return to “Problems / Questions”