Strange LTFT Behaviour

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

BrotherPlasterer
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 2 1.6 VVT Dynamique

Strange LTFT Behaviour

Postby BrotherPlasterer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi, (First post so go easy on me) :oops:

Megane II CC 2005 1.6 Petrol.

I have now tried 4 different (Bluetooth and wifi) OBD2 readers with Torque and an Autel MaxiScan MS509 handheld device and they all give me the same results for my Long Term Fuel Trim.

It shows one of the three values currently starting at 14.8%, then up to 19.5% then back down to 14.8% and sometimes 22.4%. Only ever one of these values with no ramping between. My understanding is that LTFT should ramp up or down in small steps rather than jumps like this.
So this indicates to me that either this value is unavailable to me using an OBD2 reader of this kind or my car is goosed!

At idle my throttle position is open at around 11% which strikes me as a tad high. (Throttle body has been cleaned)
The o2 sensors behave as expected and graphs indicate a nice(ish) sine wave. STFT ranges between +20 and -20%

I have tried propane/butane to try to affect the LTFT but it made no difference.
Pulling a vacuum hose made no difference either.

I am considering buying a Can Clip and the related software but I don't really want to get bogged down with all the pirated software/hardware.

I suppose I have several questions...
1. Are these readings normal?
2. Does anyone near the Wigan area have a Can Clip and some spare time to allow me to plug into my car before I buy one?
3. Can you buy OFFICIAL Renault CAN CLIP hardware/software?
4. Can anyone recommend a OBD2 reader that gives TRUE values for LTFT.

Thanks for your help.

BrotherPlasterer
Just Passed

Re: Strange LTFT Behaviour

Postby BrotherPlasterer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:31 pm

OK, So i purchased a CAN Clip and just my luck it will not work with the Scan Tool part of CLIP.

The CLIP interface works fine and can read all computers great though.

Its a silver edged one and seems to be reasonable quality.

Still no LTFT readings that make sense. I can read the dynamic adjustment (I forget the proper term, without plugging CLIP back in) and this amounts to the same thing.

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:05 pm

BrotherPlasterer wrote:Hi, (First post so go easy on me) :oops:

Megane II CC 2005 1.6 Petrol.

I have now tried 4 different (Bluetooth and wifi) OBD2 readers with Torque and an Autel MaxiScan MS509 handheld device and they all give me the same results for my Long Term Fuel Trim.

It shows one of the three values currently starting at 14.8%, then up to 19.5% then back down to 14.8% and sometimes 22.4%. Only ever one of these values with no ramping between. My understanding is that LTFT should ramp up or down in small steps rather than jumps like this.
So this indicates to me that either this value is unavailable to me using an OBD2 reader of this kind or my car is goosed!

At idle my throttle position is open at around 11% which strikes me as a tad high. (Throttle body has been cleaned)
The o2 sensors behave as expected and graphs indicate a nice(ish) sine wave. STFT ranges between +20 and -20%

I have tried propane/butane to try to affect the LTFT but it made no difference.
Pulling a vacuum hose made no difference either.

I am considering buying a Can Clip and the related software but I don't really want to get bogged down with all the pirated software/hardware.

I suppose I have several questions...
1. Are these readings normal?
2. Does anyone near the Wigan area have a Can Clip and some spare time to allow me to plug into my car before I buy one?
3. Can you buy OFFICIAL Renault CAN CLIP hardware/software?
4. Can anyone recommend a OBD2 reader that gives TRUE values for LTFT.

Thanks for your help.

Pirated? Don't do it!

nanoleet
Currently Drives:: Megane II ph2

Postby nanoleet » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:47 pm

I noticed similar readings of LTFT and STFT on a 1.4 16V.
Thought I had a vacuum leak somewhere or something, but didn't.

I say just drive it. If your fuel consumption is normal and you aren't getting any fault codes, you are good to go.
When fuel trim levels are out of bounds, it triggers a check engine light eventually.

BrotherPlasterer
Just Passed

Postby BrotherPlasterer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:13 pm

nanoleet wrote:I noticed similar readings of LTFT and STFT on a 1.4 16V.
Thought I had a vacuum leak somewhere or something, but didn't.

I say just drive it. If your fuel consumption is normal and you aren't getting any fault codes, you are good to go.
When fuel trim levels are out of bounds, it triggers a check engine light eventually.

Thanks for the reply, trouble is I only get 26 MPG and this is not acceptable to me. What with me being a skinflint and all!

Too late now anyhow, as I posted on another thread its' going in favour of a little fiesta. :(

Return to “Problems / Questions”