Power loss intermittent

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Cliffyboyd
Currently Drives:: Renault grand scenic mk 2 ,privilege, 130
Fiat stilo arbarth

Power loss intermittent

Postby Cliffyboyd » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi guys,I have a problem with my scenic mk2 1.9 DCI
Its has an intermittent power loss ,turbo boost not working
You can be driving along fine ,stop at traffic lights ect ,and go to set off ,flat as a fart ,no boost ,if I stop and restart engine its fine again ,occasionally it does it while driving along ,I would welcome your thoughts please ,BTW no fault codes brought up on my Renault specific scanner

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Re: Power loss intermittent

Postby triumph2.5man » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Cliffy, I wonder if you are suffering the dreaded brake switch problem as many of us have until some bright spark (not me!) sussed out what was causing it a couple of years back.
I experienced these issues only a few weeks ago also. Arrive at a roundabout, dab the brake pedal, foot on accelerator and no response for a few seconds, car holds back quite markedly before continuing. Same when stopping anywhere then moving off. Sound familiar? It is caused by the double set of contacts in the brake switch which is a fiendish device which tells the injection computer that the brake has been applied. It also triggers the brake lights, but not at the same time. The contacts inside the switch are a bit sticky and easily cleaned all though you will not actually find anything wrong. Suggest obtain a spare switch for a few quid from local scrappy. If your Scenic is same as Megane 2, it will be on passenger side behind glove box and fairly easily accessible by getting your head down. When I first read about this on here a couple of years ago I viewed the solution cynically but it workedk!! What is happening is that you are trying to drive away while the injection computer thinks you have the brake on!
Mike

Cliffyboyd
Fiat stilo arbarth

Postby Cliffyboyd » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:58 pm

Hi ,its nothing to do with brakes ,its something telling turbo to stop working ,stop and restart and it resets

Cliffyboyd
Fiat stilo arbarth

Postby Cliffyboyd » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:04 pm

It also happens when driving , you csn be doing say 60 and put your foot down ,you feel it lose power ,so pull over stop\restart enginge ,there seems to be no pattern as such ,feels like a faulty sensor or iv heard egr valve ?? Maybe ??

Return to “Problems / Questions”