Front wheel, ignition and gear issues

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

PowerfulMeganeDiesel
Currently Drives:: Megane GT

Front wheel, ignition and gear issues

Postby PowerfulMeganeDiesel » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:02 am

Hello,

I have a Megane GT 2008. It's a manual diesel with about 55,000 miles on it. I bought it in March 2015.

Last year I had to replace both window regulators, motors and frame/cable systems and all 4 disc brakes and pads got replaced. In the last 6 months I've had constant problems with the whole front wheel set up.

Front wheels/steering:

First of all, off side spring snapped. Replaced both of them at the same time, luckly no damage to the top mounts. Within a month lower ball joint wear causing major play in the nearside wheel, replaced. Next up was anit-roll bar on the near side, replaced both sides to be safe. December 2016, play on the near side returned. Having changed everything but the tie/steering rods it had to be them. Both inner and outer tie rods on the nesrside replaced.

Just to mention everytime any work gets carried out on the front wheels/steering setup it gets its alignment corrected. Now come January 2017, the nearside wheel seems to feel disconnected from the car, bumps and steering doesn't feel as sharp as the offside. It also feels like I struggle to keep the left wheel straight when going over any blemishes in the road surface. So as I always do, jacked it up gave it a good shake at 12-6 and 3-9 absolutely no play at all. Tyres were also replaced in October 2016, with a decent well known brand.

Now the offside wheel has a popping sound going over any big bumps, I'm guessing top mount? Also jacked that side up and no play at all.

Ignition:

So December 2016 when it started to actually get cold, it started to stuggle to start until the point I needed to press the button at least 3 times before coughing to life, with the biggest white/blue smoke cloud. Bought 4 new glow plugs, replaced and started first time without issue or a new cloud in the sky.

Now January 2017 about 2 weeks of blissful instant starting. We've gone back to having to push the button twice and creating an extra blue cloud in the sky. My thoughts are Glow plug relay or fuel filter allowing air into the system? As the clear fuel pipe on the left side of the engine bay drains backwards when the engine stops.

Gear issue:

I'm not sure if this is a gear issue or not. But since I bought the car when changing gears sometimes there an almighty jump sort of effect. It happens as I left the clutch up from choosing a gear. I've asked my garage to check the engine mounts and say they are in good condition and have no play. It doesn't happen all the time just the majority. It doesn't matter what gear it is or what speed I'm going. It'll be great if anyone else has this issue as it's rather annoying and can't find what the hell it could be.

Hope I've put enough detail into all this and hope that someone can help!! Fire away any questions you have!

Return to “Problems / Questions”