"Check Injection" and Service light on when I hit 3200rpm.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

leadhead
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 57 Megane Dynamique 1.5 Dci 106

Re: "Check Injection" and Service light on when I hit 3200rpm.

Postby leadhead » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 pm

Hope to get round to getting the EGR off in the next couple of days....Looking at the picture of it in the post above, will it be necessary to dismantle it further to clean it out, or will all the cleanable bits visible...

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:52 pm

When you get it off you will see if it comes apart l'm sure. Don't forget to clean the tube out and usually it'll be choked up where it joins the manifold.
lf it is and you think the manifold is choked, you need to do that also, it can only help and it's one good thing eliminated.
Take pictures of before and after if you can, would be interesting.
ps don't forget to test all the glowplugs, that'll be another thing eliminated.
Bob.

leadhead
Passed Theory

Postby leadhead » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:58 am

Got the EGR off yesterday and it seemed really clean but had a bit of carbon dust in it, there was no solid carbon on it, apart from a little bit on the outer surface. I was really hard to get out of its orifice, but I took my time and twisted it a few mm at a time until I could move it about an inch...I managed from there to prise it out gently...There didnt look to be anything else to dismantle apart from access to the "electrical" parts....

I didnt test it electrically because I couldnt confirm that your "pins 1 and 5" theory(as you wernt sure either) was correct, so didnt want to risk me blowing it up....but now Ive discovered its an easy job, will have a go later when i find out the definate testing method.

An exercise well worth doing, but glad it was ok.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:09 am

lf it's that clean it must have been changed or looked at fairly recently, they can be terrible after a time.
lf the electrics to it were faulty, it would show up on a fault code.
Were you able to check if the inlet manifold might be clogged.
Bob.

leadhead
Passed Theory

Postby leadhead » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:26 pm

It was so clean, I did think that it may have been done recently, it "supposedly" had(not sure i really trust the service book) 2 services in the last 8 months, but not sure they would have looked at the EGR.

re Looking at the inlet manifold....tbh..I forgot all about that, but as removing the EGR was so easy, I might go out and have a look at that...do I have to remove the EGR again. I looked into the hole that the EGR came out of and there was no sign of "clog" in there. I'll have to look at the manual to see how to look inside the inlet manifold.

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:10 am

Going back to the trader claiming to be a "private seller", just report the bugger to the tax man.
There's even a free "dobbing in" line..
Not that I've ever used it..

leadhead
Passed Theory

Postby leadhead » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:26 am

Getting back to one of my fault codes.....P0381...

The three listed codes concerning glow plugs are:

P0380 Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A" Malfunction
P0381 Glow Plug/Heater Indicator Circuit Malfunction
P0382 Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "B" Malfunction

If you notice the wording on the 381 code, it mentions "Indicator Circuit"....and is the only one that mentions "Indicator".

Could this mean there is actually a fault in the circuit that lights up the "glow plug indicator" on the speedo face, as this sometimes lights up, and sometimes doesnt...I noticed it not lighting up when i first got the car, but of late has mostly been working correctly, coming on as soon as the ignition does, and going out just before cranking. Whether this lights up or not made/ makes no difference to the starting of the engine.

I'm a bit reluctant to clear the code, as have read somewhere it could permanently wipe the code from the ECU.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi,
when you read diagnostics, some of the codes may be old stored ones.
To find out what you've got now, clear the codes, run engine from cold till hot, then read any codes it's telling you now.
Those malfunction codes probably point to the glowplugs relay. Could just be connections, haven't done one on a Megane but try you tube for where it is.
Good luck
Bob.

leadhead
Passed Theory

Postby leadhead » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:24 pm

grandadbobby wrote:Hi,
when you read diagnostics, some of the codes may be old stored ones.
To find out what you've got now, clear the codes, run engine from cold till hot, then read any codes it's telling you now.
Those malfunction codes probably point to the glowplugs relay. Could just be connections, haven't done one on a Megane but try you tube for where it is.
Good luck
Bob.

I tried to clear the codes but got "erase fail".....however when I rescanned the codes had gone. I started at the door and the P0381 came on, I purposely took the car over 3000rpm and the P2263 came on. These were both" Pending" codes. I stopped, and tried again after erasing the codes (which again brought up "erase fail" ), however when I rescanned, no codes came up. I tried this a few times and no codes came up.

Don't you think the P0381 could just refer to the glow plug indication light on the speedo.

The P2263 only appears to come on at the same time as my "Check injection" and Service light do.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi again,
the codes relating to the glow plugs could be just 1 glow plug out or just connections at the glow plug relay. (starts ok remember)
The code for boost pressure is probably boost sensor, inlet partial blocked or exhaust partial blocked. lf you're happy with it's power (only £30 tax),remember l wouldn't look at the turbo, unless you can find a faulty vacuum pipe.
On balance, considering the age and cost of the car, maybe this is as good as you can expect. Unless you like tinkering every weekend, you might as well run it till you get a definate problem.
We must remind ourselves that Renault and all manufacturers want this car scrapped by now, you in debt, and driving their latest model.
Lord knows they've put enough stuff on them to go wrong, never mind all the electronics.
Good luck
Bob.

leadhead
Passed Theory

Postby leadhead » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:54 am

Hi....I dont really like tinkering at all....but was hoping that, as this P0381 fault mentions the word "indicator" in it, it had nothing really to do with the actual glow plugs or relays etc, but was purely logging the fact that sometimes the "glow plug indicator" light on the speedo was in some way faulty(it has been intermittent). I've actually read that it could be just this on the OBD forums....but it could be other things as well. Having said this, I will just leave it until(as you say) something develops from it.

It would also be nice to find something from Renault on how to start your car. By this i mean, on other diesels I've had(albeit all key starts), I've generally turned on the ignition, then waited say 5 seconds for the glow plugs to warm up, then started the car. On this car, if you put your foot on the brake clutch and press the starter, according to some people, it should start straight away....but mine does something very similar to my previous diesels (albeit, it does it itself) it waits upto 8 seconds, then cranks the engine and starts immediately. If I decide to do it another way, where I dont put my foot on the brake/clutch, but keep my finger on the start button, the ignition comes on and the glow plug light then goes out after a few seconds, and if i then put my foot on the brake/clutch and press the start button again....it starts immediately. This to me is doing exactly what I used to do manually on my previous diesels....

If Renault say the car should start immediately, then as (I've had it mentioned to me on the other forum) the glow plugs maybe lazy....but what do Renault...or in fact the majority of Renault diesel owners say.....

Re the P2263, I mentioned this being the Boost Sensor on the other forum and got a couple of really experienced members saying that the part I showed, was in fact the MAP sensor....I still dont think we've convinced each other which sensor it is.....but all I know is if I put "Megane MAP Sensor and Boost sensor" in the same search...I get lots of results indicating(to me), that they are actually one and the same part. I cleaned this sensor when you mentioned it earlier in the thread, but also noticed that it was a bit different to the one you showed, in that there was no needle visible and the nipple was different as well.

One thing I may have not mentioned enough of is, that when I change gear on a hill, I get a type of cuckoo noise....the cuc comes when I declerate to change the gear, and the koo comes when I accelerate after changing gear...This is also noticeable in normal driving but not as loud..I read things on the turbo forums of owners actually trying to get their turbos to make weird and wonderful noises. I wonder though if these "air" noises have something to do with my P2263 fault and it is sucking air in where it shouldn't be and enough of it to bring up this fault code.

Again, I can avoid this "Check Injection" and the service light coming on by cutting my revs in 3rd and 4th gears..........so again, not a big problem....just hoping, by ignoring it now, it doesn't give me a major problem in a few months time.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi,
don't know about the cuckoo noise, but if it's taking up to 8 secs to start, the glow plugs have to be suspect. As the warmer weather comes now it should start quicker, but the computer will know that something is amiss in that circuit. Before winter l would change the glow plugs, cheap enough on ebay and eliminate them. lf it's still slow to start then consider the relay.
One other thing about the boost sensor, look that up on ebay by your reg no and see if it looks like yours incase you've got the wrong one.
Good luck
Bob.

leadhead
Passed Theory

Postby leadhead » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Bit frightened to change the glow plugs, as I know I'll break one!!!!

Ive looked the part up and it clearly states here its a boost sensor

https://www.yoyopart.com/oem/6660512/ren ... 20767.html

If you click on the link, then click "interchange parts" and then click on the Bosche model ending in 566, thats the one I have on....and it clearly states Boost Pressure sensor....I wonder if MAP sensor is an old name of these, as I can't find a MAP sensor on any description of my engine.

quaker@eircom.net
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: renault megane 2005 1.5dci automatic

Postby quaker@eircom.net » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Hello there
I think a MAP sensor is fitted in a petrol engine only and is usually fitted between the trottle flap and the cylinder head. Because the diesel engine is not trottled the equivalent sensor is called a MAF sensor or AMM sensor or MAM sensor. In my engine this sensor is fitted between the air filter and the turbo. This just monitors the air flow going into the engine. The Boost Sensor is located between the intercooler and the inlet manifold. The sequence of these sensors is :- Air filter housing--MAF Sensor--inlet to turbo--outlet from turbo--inlet to intercooler--Intercooler--outlet from intercooler--Boost Sensor--inlet manifold. The MAF may also incorporate a temperature sensor or the Boost Sensor may also incorporate one.
( MAF = Mass air flow AMM = air mass meter MAM = mass air meter....they all mean the same thing)

Re the heater plugs....Before changing these, try to check them for electrical continuity with a voltmeter on the ohms scale...I checked mine a while back..two were open circuit so I just changed these two.

Re the egr and the pinouts.
I tested mine in situ by connecting a voltmeter ( on DC voltage scale) across pins 2 and 6. Pin 6 is the "result wire" back to the ecu. Pin 2 is an electronic earth.I joined two wires to these wires( back a few cms from the pins) and brought them out of the engine bay and into the passenger seat ( the bonnet will close and the window almost closes fully)...Inside in the car I connected the voltmeter. I had cleaned the egr before this testing. At idle I got 1.3v and as you drive along the road you will notice the voltage rising from 1.3v to 2.0v. This corrosponds to the valve opening and closing ( closed at 1.3v and fully open at 2.0v) When the engine is idling and at full trottle the egr is closed. Inbetween these values the voltage values corrospond to various opening positions. For the egr to operate the vehicle needs to be in motion so it needs to be driven to carry out this test ( get a 2nd person to drive the car)
Pin1 is green ( big wire) = chassis earth. Pin 2 is green ( small wire ) = electronic earth. Pin 3 is spare. Pin 4 is white = +5v. Pin 5 is grey/red = +12v. Pin 6 is the result wire or output wire and is purple. As regards looking for +12v on pin5...I think this value may vary as I think the solenoid is energised by a pulsing voltage( voltmeter may not pick this up accurately).Its been a while since i did this test but I wrote the colour codes etc down in a notebook. My car is 2005 1.5dci Rgds Maurice

leadhead
Passed Theory

Postby leadhead » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Thanks for the above Maurice, a very comprehensive explanation....I think the EGR must be working correctly as its not giving a fault reading, but I now know how to test it if it does....

and re the Glowplugs, Bob mentioned this above as well, I'll certainly try that...

Thanks to both of you

Return to “Problems / Questions”