I think I've bought a bad megane dci..

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Alex801
Currently Drives:: Megane 3 dci

I think I've bought a bad megane dci..

Postby Alex801 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:47 pm

Hi all. Alex here all I seem to have is bad luck renault.
Head gasket on a dci laguna. Dephaser pulley on a megane 2 and now iv bought this megane 3 here goes

2011 megane 1.5dci
62k miles
Bits n bobs of service history including belt done
Bought from a dealers for 4500 on finance

Couple days after I got the car I noticed oil on driveway. Had a pokè about and thought it was crank seal so took it back. Garage had it 7 days and said it wasn't crank seal but cam seal.

Two days later same again so took it back. Told the cam end had scratches on and dI don't seal so the cam shaft itself was replaced. Garage had it ten days

Next day still a drip of oil took it back told a gasket was fitted incorectly garage had it 5 days

Picked it up and drive it home and the top end towards left of engine developed a knocking tapping. Friend mechanic said sounds like a rocker arm. So phoned the garage and he sent a recovery truck within an hour with my courtesy car on to swap over. Before it left me I lifted oil cap and there was a good amount of blow by coming out in fact oil spatter covered me.

Garage phoned today and told me it's a bad injector now. I don't buy this. I'm thinking piston rings. With the bow bye. And the effort needed to cure oil leaks popping up. I no a bad injector can knock and bang but this didn't sound like an injector to me sounded cam related.

An injector wouldn't cause bad blow by would it? It turns a bit before it starts also and I also think it's underpowered before turbo range. No eml no warnings on dash

Please don't all say.... give it back mate ur a mug lol I no I am it's the garages last chance iv told them I want pressures testing I think it's bottom end related. The dealer gave me his invoice for parts and labour that top £1000 which obviously he's footed since I bought it. Sorry iv drowned on. What do you guys think

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: I think I've bought a bad megane dci..

Postby grandadbobby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:50 am

Hi there,
beleive me these engines are not to be repaired, l've done one.
If l were you l would return the car pronto and have another one.
I feel that with your past experience, you know this to be true.
For that money you should get a nice car, not a nightmare.
Even if you kept it, you would never trust it.
Good luck
Bob.

Alex801

Postby Alex801 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:00 am

I no mate. I'm so torn really. If it is bottom end and they rebuild it. With the top end work already done I'd pretty much have a new engine. There's nothing to say the next car I buy won't have similar problems but a year down the road. This is the only thing stopping me saying to the dealer keep the car

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:04 am

I'd get rid of it.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:23 am

Hi,
you say 'bits and bobs of service history'
When you buy a low mileage car, you need the history for the first 3 years. lf it is low mileage, believe me, you don't lose the service book.
lf you don't have the records from registration, you can't rely on the mileage.
lf you'd known you would have this trouble, would you have still bought it ?
My advice is to refuse it while you can, unless they put a new engine in with proper guarantee.
Bob.

Alex801

Postby Alex801 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:25 pm

Hey. Ur right. I should have the service history. Something else that's a cause for concern is there is writing in tippex on the cam belt cover. My mate says they do this at breakers yard si turns out the engine may not even be original so the 60k on clocks could be 106k for all I no. Anyway today I noticed I still have a very slight oil leak. Don't realy notice it on tick over only wen u get back in and look under there is a drip waiting to drop that's ran down onto gearbox . Also 1st start of Taylor is turning over for ages before firing. Took it back today and they told me I can change for another car or they will pay the finance company back.....
There is a 10 plate golf 1.6tdi full service history 80k mlies and I'm really tempted to take it. Test drive on saturday

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Let me think.. Golf or Megane.. ?
Reliable German (dodgy emissions), or Flaky French. (dodgy everything)
Just kidding. Happy golfing!

Alex801

Postby Alex801 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:01 am

Lmao. I thought this site would be full of renault "4lifers" lol the dealer is preprint me a list of cars he has for swap over. Didn't sound too kern today on that golf. Said he has to look Wat it stands him and see Wat he can do on it. I paid 5k for megane and golf is 5500. Surely worst he can say is he needs 500

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:02 am

I'm more of a bangernomics man.
The previous banger (Fiat Punto) finally died, so I picked up this 2005 Megane from a local (dodgy) car dealer. He's disappeared already..
Anyway, the car cost £600. The MOT cost about £300 in total, including work I had done before it: tyres and tracking.
I have NO brand loyalty, and no real cash tied-up in cars.

I have to admit I like the Megane, though. But then I (mostly) liked the Punto as well. When it worked. And the bubble Micra before that - I drove tens of thousands of miles in both of them.

That's why I don't understand when someone advises you to spend £600+ on a new turbo.. I wouldn't spend that on a car..

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi Alex801,
this dealer has accepted his liability it seems and taken the car back.
Unless he can supply you with a really good car and you are 'over the moon with it' get your money back and go elsewhere. The finance don't want a bad car either.
l urge you not to settle for one that ' will do' in the circumstances, you need to love this car.
Good luck
Bob.

Alex801

Postby Alex801 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Q292u..
You sounds like me lol. Iv never really paid over 1500 for a car. Had some really good buys and some terrible buys. The reason for a more expensive newer car this time was to hopefully give myself a decent chance on reliability and decent mpgs. I got the mpg. I was averaging 45 round town in the megane. I just can't keep it with problems. I really like the golf though. Plus my mechanic friend knows vw's like the back of his hand. He urged me to buy the golf. The last job this guy done for me was changing a clutch on a vector b GSI. Cheapest quote I had from backstreet garages was 300. The garage my mate works at quoted 400 but he done it on a Sunday morning till night for 60 quid on the drive. Good to no someone like him.

To the comment below. I really do like the golf. My dad had the same one when new in 2011 as a company car and was sad when the 3 years was up and it got replaced wit a volvo. I didn't think I'd get one in my price range from a dealer. All others with in 50 mile are 500-1000 more expensive. My mechanic has looked it over and says all good. The garage it's at sells cars with a full service and full mot and has agreed to let me have the test and service done at mates garage at his cost as I don't like the guys who usually dun his work. (From me experience with the megane) so hopefully this time all is good and I only have wear and tear issues for a while

Return to “Problems / Questions”