Renault Recall Refusal : anyone else had issues?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Devans
Currently Drives:: Renault megane my 2

Renault Recall Refusal : anyone else had issues?

Postby Devans » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:29 am

Hi, just wondered if anyone has had recall issues turned down by Renault. Please post on this as I am trying to get a real picture, thanks.
Window wouldn't close on my drivers side under normal conditions. Would only close if I switched the car off and double locked.
Found out that Renault say they would resolve the issue free of charge if the car is less than three years old. They will also resolve the issue covering 75% of the cost if the car is under 10 years old.
My car is first registered in the UK in late March 2007. I rang Renault early March stating the problem and after a long conversation the customers advisor centre said......the car was not on their list. They then stated that the car I have was originally sent to Cyprus when it was first made in December 2006. Then returned to the UK for first registration in March 2007. The ten year warranty would therefore run from Dec 2006. I explained that I hold the V5 document which clearly states late March 2007 and therefore the car was still within 10 years. They would not budge. I asked them to forward to me a record of our conversation but they refused.
I do want to pursue this further and have told them so. I have been told by a garage that they sometimes ship cars abroad to avoid certain levels of tax. However, I don't feel Renault have followed and upheld their promise to resolve this fault.
Please feel free to comment on the above but I would also like to see if others feel unsupported on similar issues with Renault. Please post here and I can then follow up if I have additional evidence, thanks
Last edited by q292u on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Renault Recall Refusal : anyone else had issues?

Postby grandadbobby » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi,
l don't think you will get anywhere with this.
Cars can be hanging around for a long time before they are registered.
Your car is 11 years old and Renault know when it was made.
As for your window, by this age the connections to the motor will be faulty. (inside the door)
lf cleaning them doesn't work, you can get a cheap bypass connector off ebay and it will solve the problem.
l resolved mine this way.
lt only goes up or down while you hold the switch, but it works good.
Bob.

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:23 pm

grandadbobby wrote:Hi,
l don't think you will get anywhere with this.
Cars can be hanging around for a long time before they are registered.
Your car is 11 years old and Renault know when it was made.
As for your window, by this age the connections to the motor will be faulty. (inside the door)
lf cleaning them doesn't work, you can get a cheap bypass connector off ebay and it will solve the problem.
l resolved mine this way.
lt only goes up or down while you hold the switch, but it works good.
Bob.

I have to agree - you can't expect Renault (or any manufacturer) to fix something like this on a 10+ year old car.
How many owners has it passed through in that time, how many miles? etc..

leadhead
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 57 Megane Dynamique 1.5 Dci 106

Postby leadhead » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:49 pm

q292u wrote:
I have to agree - you can't expect Renault (or any manufacturer) to fix something like this on a 10+ year old car.
How many owners has it passed through in that time, how many miles? etc..

I think you are wrong here.....If Renault have advertised they will pay 75% of the cost of fixing this problem to any cars up to 10 years old, and the car in question is 9 years and 300 days old....I dont really think its up to anyone to say " You cant expect Renault to fix...etc)...When Renault have already said THEY WOULD FIX IT!!...

Why didnt I read this earlier.......2 hours ago i finished putting a new module on my 57 Megane....I think I might have been tempted to let Renault do it, as its a bit of a pain...But having said that it only cost me £12 and 3 hours labour...it might have only been 2 hours but I did something silly the first time.....BUT... having read somewhere that Renault actually quoted a guy £200 for the part and £150 to fit.....the 25% I would have had to pay would have been about £90...........so maybe not afterall.

Devans
Currently Drives:: Renault megane my 2

Postby Devans » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:43 pm

I'm really surprised at some of the comments. I think people are forgetting that it is a recognised fault and a promise made by such a big company is a promise. It was only recently they changed it to covering 75% of the cost as previously it was a free fix. As far as owners and miles are concerned, the car has had one owner previous and has only covered 30k miles.
I will be following up by fitting a new Temic switch but was really interested to see if others have had similar issues with Renault. Maybe there aren't enough subscribers to this forum to gather the amount of information required to take this issue forward. Looks like it's down to me to resolve once the manual arrives. Thanks all anyway for your comments and look forward to using the forum on further issues as and when they arrive.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:40 pm

Hi again,
while l feel sure that fitting the temic wiring is your cheaper option anyway, if you feel strongly that you are in the right, you could try writing to the
Ministry of Transport to see if it should be from date of manufacture or date of first registration.
They must have some ruling on this and you just never know.
Bob.

leadhead
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 57 Megane Dynamique 1.5 Dci 106

Postby leadhead » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Devans wrote:Looks like it's down to me to resolve once the manual arrives.

5 days ago I p'med you and offered you a copy of the manual I got from ebay, free of charge, you've not even acknowledged my message.

Return to “Problems / Questions”