Drivers seat stuck!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

chris2411
Currently Drives:: '56 megane

Drivers seat stuck!

Postby chris2411 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi everyone!

New to the forum....so hello! I have a Megane Estate which has failed it's MOT on a driver seat fault. It won't move, actually it never has, I only bought it 8 months ago and it's position fits me perfectly so I never even tried the seat mech'

The adjustment levers on the seat are broken off, I have had a good crawl around under the seat with a mirror and a torch....nothing will move at all, even getting a vice grips onto the broken leaver part will not budge. I have tried everything I can think of with no luck. The back bolts on the rails are covered by the seat so I can't get to them.....

Any help or advice would be really appreciated!

Chris

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Drivers seat stuck!

Postby grandadbobby » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi,
l haven't had this happen but, maybe you could look under the passenger one to see exactly what works the seat rail.
Yours is stuck, so even if you can manoeuvre whatever it is, you will probably need someone to hit it from the back to get it free and get to the bolts.

lf all else fails, lf you can see where the bolts come underneath, cut them off level and drill them out.

Once the seat is out you might find a fix for it.
Good luck
Bob.

chris2411

Postby chris2411 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:16 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your post. I've been under the car and no sign of the bolts coming through. The passenger seat has the same problem, nothing moves at all, looks like a few parts missing from it so maybe someone already had a go! I think that \i have two options, either a small file to get the bolt heads off which are just about visible ior else strip the seat from the top down and get my angle grinder in there to cut it all away....and then a trip to the scrappy!

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi,
you sound like you're the type to have a go.
Maybe if one seat, usually the drivers one, is a bit tatty, buy that one and then you'll see how it works and be able to release the other one.
l must say l've never heard of this being an MOT failure before.
Good luck
Bob.

chris2411

Postby chris2411 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi Bob,
The seat moving for MOT is a strange one. Other forums say that if the seat is fixed with no method to move it then it can pass. However, if there is a mechanism to adjust it and that does not work then it fails! I was thinking of arguing it or trying another test station but the tax is out and no longer insured until I sort it out.....Such a pity as it's a great car (apart from the electric windows!)

I'll keep you posted on what was causing it when I get around to fixing it!

chris2411

Postby chris2411 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Return to “Problems / Questions”