Starting issue

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Dannyclarke001
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2004
1.5 Deisel
Red
Push button start
Auto lights
Auto wipers
Manual transmission
202,500 miles on the clock!

Starting issue

Postby Dannyclarke001 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:52 pm

Hi guys,

So I've had my Megane since August 2016 and it's always had an issue starting. I'll pop the card in press the button then press the break and start her up. The car tries to start but it just doesn't fire up first time. This is not only frustrating but embarrassing (especially when I stall and can't get the thing to start again) Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Also have an issue with the boot not opening, it was fine for about 5 months then it was working intermittently now it will not open at all I have to put the back seats down climb in the back and manually pop the boot. Maybe a loose wire somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Cars details below:
Megane 2
2004 (04) reg
202,567 miles
1.5 Deisel
5 door hatchback
Auto lights
Auto wipers
Card Key

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Starting issue

Postby grandadbobby » Tue May 02, 2017 12:00 am

Hi,
if you want to sort this yourself you need a code reader and read any fault codes, to put you in the right direction.
There are too many things to guess at, and spend unnecessary money on. (stabbing in the dark)
As for the tailgate switch, which by the way could be part of the problem, look on you tube for 'renault tailgate issue',
doesn't matter if it's a scenic, you can learn on there.
Good luck
Bob.

ElCid
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.6 VVT Estate 2006

Postby ElCid » Wed May 03, 2017 11:26 pm

I had the same issue with the boot lid; I found it was the wires that go from the car body then into the boot lid, where they bend.
You may need to take off the rubber cover. I had to fix 4 wires, probable the brake light wires too.
Is it noisey when its trying to start?

quaker@eircom.net
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: renault megane 2005 1.5dci automatic

Postby quaker@eircom.net » Thu May 04, 2017 4:30 pm

At 200,000 miles you might have mechanical issues preventing the engine from starting. Check heater coils.The EGR valve could be so fouled with soot etc that it might even be jammed open. Check valve clearances and compression. Check the fuel and air filters.
rgds Maurice

Scott38

Postby Scott38 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:02 pm

Does it start on the second attempt?

Return to “Problems / Questions”