Automatic gear stick hissing

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Gearjammy
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: MEGANE EXPRESSION 16V
Production year: 2004
Trasmission: AUTOMATIC
Engine size: 1598cc

Automatic gear stick hissing

Postby Gearjammy » Thu May 11, 2017 3:55 pm

EXPRESSION 16V
BHP: 115
Fuel type: PETROL
After changing the rear brake pads in order for me to do this I had to unscrew the bleeding screws and push the pistons back problem now is every time I press the brake pedal and release again Then press again there's a hissing noise coming from inside the car where the automatic gear stick is I was just wondering is there a pipe or pipes that may have blown of with the pressure of me actually pressing the pistons back

quaker@eircom.net
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: renault megane 2005 1.5dci automatic

Re: Automatic gear stick hissing

Postby quaker@eircom.net » Thu May 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Hello there........did you have the correct tool to wind back the caliper pistons?...you say you opened the bleed caps to make it easy to push back the pistons..as these calipers include the handbrake mechanism ( and its automatic adjustment) the pistons need to be wound clockwise and pushed back at the same time to facilitate making room for the new pads.....did you open the brake reservoir cap to check the fluid level during the operation?....you would need to bleed the brakes afterwards if you opened the bleed screws. Has air got into the system and is the ABS acting up?..Is the handbrake working?...Is the vacuum servo mechanism working? First check to see is there brake fluid in the reservoir. If there is air in the system it needs to be bled. Not sure what the hissing sound could be...rgds maurice

Gearjammy
Passed Theory

Postby Gearjammy » Thu May 11, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi there maurice the correct tool was used my thinking was opening the bleeder caps the pistons would be easier to wind back. and I did bleed all brakes again so I am sure there's no air in the system it's just everytime the brakes are pumped there's like an hissing noise inside the car by the automatic gear stick it's like air escaping this is when the engine is running then when I turn the engine of, and pump the brake pedal it stops after 3 or 4 pumps and the pedal goes solid and the handbrake is working with no problems and the brakes seem to stop the car like as before... Cheers Bill

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Thu May 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi there,
very often noises aren't where you think they are.
l suspect you're hearing the servo working overtime until the new pads are settled in.
Main thing is that the brakes remain good, see how it goes and let us know the outcome.
Cheers
Bob.

quaker@eircom.net
Learner Driver

Postby quaker@eircom.net » Thu May 11, 2017 9:10 pm

Hello there......when you press the brake pedal the servo unit admits air into one side of the unit ...is this the air intake hiss you might be hearing?..Normally there is a small air filter and a rubber boot fitted around the brake pedal/servo push rod. This might be the source of the noise. Unlikely to be a leak in the vacuum hose between the vacuum pump and the servo unit. Is it only since you changed the pads that this noise appeared?
rgds Maurice

Gearjammy
Passed Theory

Postby Gearjammy » Fri May 12, 2017 7:30 am

Hi there ...Maurice yes it's only since I have changed the rear brake pads the noise is there.. it just seems strange that the brakes and the handbrake still work the same , the noise definitely seems to be coming from the automatic gear stick or the handbrake and when the engine is not running just a few pumps on the pedal it disappears..Cheers Bill 

quaker@eircom.net
Learner Driver

Postby quaker@eircom.net » Sat May 13, 2017 12:32 pm

I see you have a petrol engine..usually there is a hose/pipe going from the inlet manifold to the servo unit. if you could clamp this pipe so that the servo unit is disabled. Now sit in the car and press the brake pedal a few times so that it is hard to press( all vacuum now gone out of servo). Next start the engine ( do NOT drive) and press the brake pedal a few times to see is this hissing sound still there. After that test unclamp the vacuum hose and see does the hissing sound come back. Either way you should have normal brake effort restored. There is an electro solenoid near the gearstick that operates to allow the gearstick to be moved out of "P" but this is operated by the brake pedal. I doubt that is causing the noise rgds Maurice

Return to “Problems / Questions”