Steering locked

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

dai16550
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 Dynamique 1.9Dci

Steering locked

Postby dai16550 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi All,
Before I start a little history about me, spent 20 years as an auto electrician and mechanic on London black cabs, I am not a fitter as I can take things apart and rebuild them correctly. I owned my own garage for a few years and I am fully able to do most things and do not panic when faced with an issue.
Now I love my 05 megane 2 1.9dci dynamique as it is comfortable, quick and makes a great runaround. But hopped in 3 weeks ago and had the 'steering locked not locked' message and no start but steering was not locked. Did the usual hunting around online and in manual (thanks Renault for the lousy schematics on the electrics) and decided it was probably the common steering lock malfunction. Removed lock (as was not locked) ordered 'viginised unit from ebay and duly fitted it, et voila it started and off I trundled about 6 miles, parked, stopped engine and steering lock failed to initiate, I'm sure you all know that sinking feeling, anyway after locking and unlocking managed to get car started and headed home pdq, parked up turned off and again lock failed to initiate and no matter what I do car has not started since.
I have removed the fuse/switch box by battery and checked for water damage, I have tried a replacement unit to no avail. I have removed the UCH and checked for damage as I am aware that water can ingress this item but no issues, have checked virtually every connection I can find but the car refuses to do anything. Current sequence is unlock car, enter, shut door asked to insert card,insert, depress clutch and or brake (tried both and checked switchs/cables) push start and all I get is service light, nothing else, no ignition sequence, zip, then 'steering locked/unlocked' and remove card message :banghead .
As the steering is in reality locked I can't move the car and although I ....having already replaced the steering column a couple of years ago...... know exactly how to remove the non operational steering lock without ridiculous expenditure on new items I am sure someone out there will have a suggestion about something I have missed.....apart from a few brain cells that is...... I have no issues with anything that I believe the UCH controls, lights,locks,wipers etc, the only thing that I have been unable to trace is the relay sitting on the passenger fuse box which when the steering locked/unlocked energises and then remove card sign comes up. Immobiliser light is always on by the way.
Any suggestions gratefully accepted

Anticipating a real gem that will make me wonder why? I didn't think of it

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Steering locked

Postby grandadbobby » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi,
don't have the solution, but take a look on you tube, look up
'Scenic 1.5 dci not starting immobiliser on Electric fault' done by Imsvvavr.
l think you've got similar problem.
Good luck, someone who's had the same might reply, but please let us know the outcome.
Bob.

dai16550

Postby dai16550 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Thanks Bob, I've already checked so much of the loom for chaffing and damage it's unreal, used loads of tape wrapping it again and can find zip wrong and my internet searching now amounts to about 30 hours or so I know it's an issue with the Meg 2 but I have tried virtually everything that is on utube anyway and some stuff is so off base I wonder what possessed anyone to post it. The real trouble is I can't find a decent wiring diagam as good old Renault simply don't release one, so I trace a wire and it disappears into one of the multiplex units as I can't follow the circuit through a chip if I don't know it's function and that's it, dead end. Cars always been garaged so water ingress is not an issue and I can't find anything that is 'out of order' but given that I don't have a 'clip' and my code reader is limited function have finally resorted to a local guy who has one and maybe get to the bottom of the issue. If it's going to cost a shed load in parts afraid it's off to be dismantled and although I will miss it it's 12 years old and not worth more than a couple of hundred working even if my backside will miss it's soft seat......LOL

dai

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi Dai,
they are made that way nowadays, a liability after 7 years old.
On forums, l have read terrible stories, people going to main dealers, spending a fortune and still not fixed.
lf l were you, take a look on ebay at diagnostics, about 3 years ago l bought a Delphi Autocom system for my laptop for £42.
lt does all cars and codes injectors etc. l have helped out friends and family all sorts of cars, paid for itself the first time l used it.
l'm not very good on computers but a nice man in Japan linked up to my laptop and installed it for me.
You having been in the trade and you will need a car, it would be a great asset.
Good luck with your motor, l hope you can fix it.
Bob.
ps if your bloke thinks it's the interior multiplex, l had a Clio one fixed by a bloke off ebay £30. He only does Renault and very good.
let me know and l will look up his number.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi Dai,
l have watched that video of the lock being blanked.
lf you can't undo the lock because it is locked, is it worth a try at disconnecting it from the loom and see if you can unlock with a battery using probes.
lt's obviously a solenoid, you just need to find the right wires.
Or have you tried this already ?

According to Haynes wiring
black is earth
Ja ( not on colour chart but might mean Jn for yellow ) provides power from relay.
other colours are orange,violet,grey and green, so main power not one of these.
l reckon connect a live feed and earth, then also another live to other colours to activate.
Bob.

dai16550

Postby dai16550 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:31 am

Hi Bob,
Got a spare lock so will play around tonight and post up what does what (LOL) trouble is time a little time short at the minute due to other commitments but will do my best............sure beats watching the constant repeats on the box anyway............
I put another post up as I decided that instead of spending £50-60 on a 'virginised' lock I'd simply replace the eeprom 24c04 with a new one, I've got most of the kit already to reprog but it's just easier and cheaper to replace the eeprom at £0.20 each. If I cant get the damn thing to unlock as you suggested I'll just break it open and drill the aluminium section if I set off the security pin. I managed to get a few of these locks for nought and have cut one up so as to see what is what inside which is better than guessing where anything is or what it may or may not do.

Thanks for the suggestions/ideas a little lateral input changes the game a little and there is no doubt constantly thinking over an issue causes brain fog :shock: I'll keep you posted.

Dai

dai16550

Postby dai16550 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi all, still struggling with my beloved Megane :life . Decided after spending yet more hours on it that I'd simply replace the UCH, Steering lock and ECU card reader and fob from a working vehicle and then recode the ecu for injector codes, fitted this all last night and guess what absolutely zip, no nothing on the key fob, nearly did a Basil Fawlty with a pick axe but slipped a beer down and relaxed a little, just on the off chance I replaced the battery in the fob and voila car locks unlocks BUT the original fault remains i.e steering locked/not locked....no start which means I have now replaced the lock 3 times and in the interim replaced the eeprom on one, tried another underbonnet switch/fuse unit a while ago but have now run out of ideas.

It's not that I exactly love the car but it's the only one I can get my wife in and out of (she is partialy paralysed) and we have tried about every other car for ease of use with not much luck so it's rather the devil I know and at some point I will become extremely profficient at fixing it....lol
Any bright ideas to save my sanity gratefully received.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:12 pm

Hi Dai,
sorry you're still struggling.
l've got a c max project l'm working on, nightmare also. (fuel injection)
On that forum, l have read many posts, the ones with problems like yours always need the clocks cluster as well as the interior ecu/key/ etc.
l only wonder if you need the clocks cluster from that donor good working car, might be worth a try. l think it's to do with immobiliser.
Sorry can't be more help.
Bob.
ps the injectors are coded to the engine pcm not the interior one.

Return to “Problems / Questions”