Things stop working

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Raptor2017
Currently Drives:: 2003 Megane II 1.9 DCi

Things stop working

Postby Raptor2017 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi, i have a 2003 Megane 1.9DCi and over the past month i have notice things stop working like on 3 doors the button locks dont work, the water for the windscreen not coming out and the radio steering wheel column controls are not responding, also the lights on the central display with the clock has dimmed and is hardly visible during the day.
Battery was changed 2 months ago. Any ideas?

Thank you

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Things stop working

Postby grandadbobby » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:15 am

Hi,
it would be a good idea to get the charging rate checked for the alternator. ( electronics are very sensitive to slight low voltage )
lf you can't do that yourself, ask at Halfords or where you got the battery from.
The car is at the age when things will go wrong because of connections, dry solder joints etc and stuff wearing out.
lf you're not a home mechanic, apart from replacing the washer pump ( you should find that on you tube and cheap on ebay )
it might be best to let an auto electrician take a look, and l don't mean Renault.
Ask around everyone you know to find a decent honest service.
Good luck
Bob.

Markeh
Currently Drives:: 2004 (54) Megane 1.6 VVT Dynamique 5dr

Postby Markeh » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:17 am

Every so often I get the stalk controls packing up and the middle display either dimming completely or in one case, the temp part stopped and the lights stayed on permanently (even when the car was off and locked) - I put this down to the fact i'm running an aftermarket radio with an adapter for stalk controls, when it plays up I lift out the middle display (it should just come up with a firm tug), disconnect then reconnect the cable (you can just unlatch then latch the clip and that disconnects it enough), that usually restores operation for at least a couple of months for me. I've fitted a new display from a scrapyard to see if that does the trick.

However with your other issues it may be worth looking to see if there is one cause causing everything as well.

EDIT: Out of interest, I had a new alternator fitted in May after mine seized and snapped the aux belt, and the clock has done this twice since then.

Raptor2017

Postby Raptor2017 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:55 pm

Yes, its starting to get to that age where there isn't a month that something doesn't pop up but this is happening nearly al together and might not be even connected one thing with the other so mechanic time i think as i can deal maybe with one thing but this seems more of an investigation job.
I am completely puzzled.

Thank you both :)

Raptor2017

Postby Raptor2017 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Markeh wrote:Every so often I get the stalk controls packing up and the middle display either dimming completely or in one case, the temp part stopped and the lights stayed on permanently (even when the car was off and locked) - I put this down to the fact i'm running an aftermarket radio with an adapter for stalk controls, when it plays up I lift out the middle display (it should just come up with a firm tug), disconnect then reconnect the cable (you can just unlatch then latch the clip and that disconnects it enough), that usually restores operation for at least a couple of months for me. I've fitted a new display from a scrapyard to see if that does the trick.

However with your other issues it may be worth looking to see if there is one cause causing everything as well.

EDIT: Out of interest, I had a new alternator fitted in May after mine seized and snapped the aux belt, and the clock has done this twice since then.

Markeh, did what you said about disconnecting the clock because it was the easy thing to try first and light came back to life and locks, havent tried radio steering controls but broke the clock plastic when removing ever so gently and now need the plastic housing replacement. Plastic ages as well :)

Return to “Problems / Questions”