no drive after hub change

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

no drive after hub change

Postby Phil and Liz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:35 pm

To those that have read the recent posts youll know I had to change the hub and it took a lot of abuse to separate from the drive shaft. Today I got the missing bolt and finished the rebuild. Went to move the car and no drive just a chattering noise, tried moving the steering and still no drive backwards or forwards. When trying to remove the hub I tried pulling the shaft free while still attached, I wonder if the outer joint has pulled free from the shaft ?

Thing is, when trying to remove the drive shaft the inner would not pull free from the gearbox, is there a pin holding it in place ? or any suggestions on removal ?

Not looking forward to having to remove everything i've just put back together, mind you at least the bolts will come undone easily and a replacement drive shaft is only £30 on ebay

Wife said the other day 'why does our garden look like a scrapyard ?'

My answer ' cos we've got 2 Renaults!'

didnt mention the 2 bikes.........
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: no drive after hub change

Postby grandadbobby » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Hi there,
according to the Haynes manual and looking at pictures on line it should just slide out of gearbox. ( careful of the seal in gearbox housing )
lf it's tight, try tapping it with a hammer while levering it out.
As for the ratchet noise, make sure it's not the spline in the hub, as that will have damaged the shaft and hub.
Check to see if the nut is turning while noise happens on drive.
Good luck
Bob.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:31 am

Thanks bob

Im thinking its pulled free from the outer cv joint, gonna try later today to get it off. Going to a car show in Glsgow this morning.

Is there a clip that might have pulled off holding the parts together ?

Does anyone have an exploded diagram of a drive shaft components?

Also any suggestions for opening up the boot clips without destroying them so they can be re-used, remember vauxhall corsa clips were rarely re-usable and they only came as part of a cv boot kit.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi,
You can use cable ties for the boots if the originals are no good.
From shafts l've done in the past, l just can't see how it could come free but it will be interesting to see what you find.
This isn't automatic is it ? don't know if they are different.
Good luck
Bob.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Bob,

its a manual

last night took off the wheel and the bottem clamp bolt, outer cv joint was at an odd angle and small end of gaitor had split, basically outer cv joint came off shaft and a broken C ring fell out of the gaitor.

Inner cv joint would not come free, the shaft pulled out same as the outer cv joint did. There is no access above or below, tried removing battery and tray but no extra space available. Like the oute shaft its seized/rusted on the splines and will not move, tried wd40 pentrating formula, tried hitting the outer joint casing, tried pulling with vice grips while hitting with 2lb hammer.

Gonna try putting either pump pliers, oil filter chain wrench or monkey wrench on casing and hitting the wrench/pliers as there is nowhere good to get a swing.

Problem now is , its imobile, could put bottem ball joint on and wheel but majority of garages willnot touch a job someone else has started and i'd be looking at retail cost of a shaft, recovery cost and a inflated labour cost.

gonna need a bigger hammer !
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi,
sounds a right performance you're stuck with.
ln the old days, when the shaft was held in with the 'c' clip, we used a wedge inbetween the shaft and gearbox casing, like a big ball joint splitter.
Don't know exactly what you're up against, but if you've got something like that, grease it up and whack the wedge in to separate.
Good luck
Bob.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi Bob

Thought youd like to know I managed to get the inner drive shaft out, your right a wide ball joint splitter would do it, will measure up for future info. I ended up closing a small c clamp behind the cv joint housing and levering a 3/8 bar behind the clamp between the gerabox and the clamp. A feww good pulls and a slip , out it came. At the end 1/2 cm in on the shaft is a spring clip.

Warning to anyone else contemplating this, PAY A GARAGE , its not a job to do on the ground with little clearance

Thanks for the advice guys
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:03 am

Hi,
well done, every time you do a job it's a learning curve.
The Haynes manual states it just pulls out. They say it's all based on an actual strip down.
Over the years, l have often wondered how they get away with it, yet there is no alternative.
Bob.

Return to “Problems / Questions”