Roof Mechanism Fault

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Andy1970
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Privilege Convertible 1.6 VVT

Roof Mechanism Fault

Postby Andy1970 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi guys.

The car in question is an 04 Prestige model.

Had this message popping up with the accompanying bleeping which is akin to Chinese water torture I'm sure. The bleeping only starts when the car is in motion and not at standstill.

Now here are my findings so far. The roof all works fine, but only while the engine is off. When the car is running it doesn't want to know. On a few occasions all the windows have gone down by themselves, usually just after setting off on the first journey of the day. I've found that turning on the rear demister or the heater fans up full usually stop the bleeping. Lower the fan intensity the bleeping starts again.

After a while driving the bleeping will stop until I use the breaks or use the indicators. So electrical connections being made also appear to trigger the issue.

Can anyone shed any light on these bizarre goings on? This strangeness is driving me round the bend (without breaking or indicating for fear of the dreaded bleeping)!

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Roof Mechanism Fault

Postby grandadbobby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi,
as with all these types of faults, your best bet is to check for water ingress or dampness in or around the fuse and relay boxes, both engine compartment and interior behind the glovebox.
lf there's no joy there, the interior multiplex module would have to come under suspicion. (behind glovebox)
You might temporarily stop the beeping by removing the fuse for the roof mechanism and disabling it, though a message will probably flag up.
Otherwise, you're going to need a good diagnostic reader that does body as well as engine codes to hopefully give indication of where the fault lies.
Good luck
Bob.

Return to “Problems / Questions”