Smoke from exhaust + OBD Error

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Nahr
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane Dynamique 1.5 dCi

Smoke from exhaust + OBD Error

Postby Nahr » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi, Just bought a Megane II as a first car :)

Its a 1.5 dCi Dynamique, and its not in great condition. There is slight black smoke from the exhaust, and an OBD reader shows the P0381 error code, can I assume those two are linked? The MOT also mentioned an oil leak from the turbo, so would I just need to replace one of the glow plugs, or the glow plug relay, or need a complete turbo rebuild?

Would appreciate any advice :)

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Smoke from exhaust + OBD Error

Postby grandadbobby » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Hi,
the two are not linked.
The glow plug circuit p0381 could be a glow plug gone, if you find all the glow plugs are working (see you tube for testing) and it starts ok, it might be a thermal plunger not to worry about.( they are like glow plugs in the cooling system for if you live at the north pole )
The black smoke, did it fail the mot, is it all the time ?
lf it's just on acceleration and passed the mot you could check the air filter, after that, it's clogged inlet manifold or maybe injectors, but there, you are getting into heavy stuff, beware !
The oil leak at the turbo depends how bad it is. lf it's throwing it into the air intake you'll get blue smoke and burn oil quite quickly.
lf you've just acquired the car and it's passed the mot, l would run it a while and see if it's worth spending money on.
Good luck
Bob.

Nahr
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane Dynamique 1.5 dCi

Postby Nahr » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:58 pm

grandadbobby wrote:Hi,
the two are not linked.
The glow plug circuit p0381 could be a glow plug gone, if you find all the glow plugs are working (see you tube for testing) and it starts ok, it might be a thermal plunger not to worry about.( they are like glow plugs in the cooling system for if you live at the north pole )
The black smoke, did it fail the mot, is it all the time ?
lf it's just on acceleration and passed the mot you could check the air filter, after that, it's clogged inlet manifold or maybe injectors, but there, you are getting into heavy stuff, beware !
The oil leak at the turbo depends how bad it is. lf it's throwing it into the air intake you'll get blue smoke and burn oil quite quickly.
lf you've just acquired the car and it's passed the mot, l would run it a while and see if it's worth spending money on.
Good luck
Bob.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

I have just got the car, and it is not even insured, so I've only had the chance to go around the block. It passed the MOT and only advisories were the tires being below limit, and the turbo oil leak. It happens on acceleration only I think, so I will try what you said :) I havent seen any blue smoke so I hope its not a serious leak

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:13 pm

Hi Nahr,
if there's no oil dripping on the floor, it may just be a clean up and need oil change.
Good luck
Bob.

Return to “Problems / Questions”