headlamp motor, what position when changing headlamp

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

headlamp motor, what position when changing headlamp

Postby Phil and Liz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:41 pm

For a few years my wife complained about the headlights on her megane 08 dci, she's now got the clio and i get the megane for when im not riding my maxi scooter for the commute.Last week was the first real commute in the dark and she was right the headlights are poor. The reason is the n/side unit will not adjust on the electric motor, o/side is fine, seem to remember there used to be a noise like a motor in the headlamp area and i think i remember seeing the adjuster lever being off. So a bit of ebay and ive got a complete unit for £25 plus shipping. my wuestion is , does it matter what position the adjuster control is set, should i try and work out at what position the new light already is and set the control before fitting the headlamp

Really need to sort this as at the moment the headlight on my honda silverwing is better than 2 megane headlights

might have a look at splitting the old unit once removed, any one split one of these before ?
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: headlamp motor, what position when changing headlamp

Postby grandadbobby » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:03 am

Hi,
l haven't swopped a light but l think if you have the adjuster knob in the middle and put the new light's mechanism in the middle it won't be far out.
Then in the dark you can adjust the new one up or down to get them level. (allen key hole towards the back on the top)
Good luck
Bob.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Re: headlamp motor, what position when changing headlamp

Postby Phil and Liz » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Swapped the headlamp today, no issues and all ok, thanks Bob. One thing I did notice is the thickness of the wiring, the wiring currently used is the thickness they used to use in the seventies for interior lights! I know there are relays now controlling the lights but always thought they were there to save damage to switches. All works ok so must just be modern motors.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Return to “Problems / Questions”