Alternator replacement - easy method -??

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Alternator replacement - easy method -??

Postby triumph2.5man » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:24 pm

Hopefully this will help another owner. 1.5dci 2003 112k miles (10 years in my possession!)
Have you changed your alternator? According to senor Manuel Haynes, it is not easy especially if you have a petrol car. The brief beeping with the battery light flashing, was a portent of doom and soon a meter check indicated no charge. It went from working perfectly to fail within a few miles. Could be worrying if on a long journey Off to the scrappy and £15 bought me a good replacement. Beware, later models (06 on?) use a 6 rib belt instead of 5, the pulley has a freewheel clutch (not a problem) instead of fixed and the small plug has only one wire instead of two feeding from the multiplex unit. This plug (although it looks similar) will not fit the later alternator. The violet wire has been deleted from later models.
On with the job. Engine under the sump, remove top mounting completely 7 x 16mm bolts. Jack engine up high and this gives access to the alternator top mounting bolt. This can be manoevred out into a gap in the wing. Working from below, via off side wheel arch, lower the engine to give access to the belt tensioner - take the belt off. At its lowest point the alternator bottom bolt can be accessed with a long extension and removed. Spacing washers prevent immediate removal but by twisting with a bar, the alternator can be wiggled out.(These sliding spacers are nothing new - my elderly Triumph2.5 had one in 1970 with a Lucas alternator). There is just room to lift the alternator out and fit the replacement. Bottom bolt in first. Jack up and fit the top bolt. Then lower again to fit the belt. I used the later plug and soldered-in the white wire. I discarded the violet wire. Testing showed just below full voltage at this wire and has not affected charging or operation. The mark 3 dci also has only the one wire. If you have a petrol car- hard luck!
Examination of the old Valeo alternator revealed slip rings badly worn as were the brushes. Brush replacement (as in days gone by) is not an option - they are not available and in any case the slip rings were too badly grooved.
Mike

Return to “Problems / Questions”