Rear brake sticking

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

MarkSin
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II Estate

Rear brake sticking

Postby MarkSin » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi,
I have been away and have not driven my car for a couple of months.
When I drove my car last night the left back rear brake was sticking. I had lights on my dash, "service" and "ABS". After a while the lights on the dash went out but the brake was still sticking.
After a short time the brake then released and then stuck again and did that until I got home again. I probably drove about 3-4 kms in all.
I have a 2005 Megane II estate.
Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Mark

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Rear brake sticking

Postby grandadbobby » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi,
will either be the caliper or handbrake cable l would have thought.
lt's a hands on job but if you're a novice, take a look on you tube, more or less any model will do.
Good luck
Bob.

MarkSin
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II Estate

Postby MarkSin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your reply.
I thought it might be the handbrake sticking but the intermittent nature of the problem and the ABS light worried me a bit. I had found out that a rear caliper had been changed and I was waiting to hear from my Stepfather which one had been changed. It turned out to be the one I was having problems with.
I opened up the centre console and saw that the left side handbrake cable was loose when the handbrake was off. I took the left rear wheel off on hit the lever that the handbrake cable is attached to with a hammer several times. This seemed to loosen up the handbrake again so that I could spin the hub.
I drove the car and the wheel was rotating freely and tried not to use the handbrake just in case it stuck again. While I was out running errands I forgot and applied the handbrake twice. Both times the handbrake released properly again so I have my fingers crossed that I have loosened it up enough by hitting it.
Never underestimate the problem solving power of a hammer :-P

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Manchester screwdrivers are the essential tools in any toolbox, I have a variety from large lump hammers to small claw and two rubber mallets, one heavy one light. Only thing they couldnt fix with mole grips (aka vice grips) was a broken strut clamp bolt and broken wheel stud, both on NSF of an 08 megane dci !
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

Return to “Problems / Questions”