Wheel Sensors

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Lardy
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 Privilege 1.9dCi

Wheel Sensors

Postby Lardy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi All,
Car: 2004 1.9dCi Prestige...
Had it from new, only to find last week, after a puncture (and subsequent wheel buckling!!), that there are no pressure sensors installed in any of the 17" alloy wheels.
- As far as I am aware, this car (Prestige model) should have sensors?
- There has, or never been any indication of low tyre pressure (I've always wondered why not).
- After the puncture, I put the spare (steel) wheel on, and still no pressure error indication on the display. Its not working!
Any ideas please?
Thanks,
Lardy

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: Wheel Sensors

Postby Stranger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:00 pm

AFAIK Dynamique and above had the sensors. Again, as best I can remember the sensors were at the bottom of the inflation valve and would be easily missed when having tyres changed.

I would've thought you've had all four tyres changed over the period you've had the car however, if they've not been replaced you should have got an error code so perhaps yours didn't have them to start with.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Lardy
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 Privilege 1.9dCi

Re: Wheel Sensors

Postby Lardy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks for your reply Stranger,
Yeah, I've now figured my "Prestige" model didn't have them from the start, as the sensors are not there and there's no errors thrown up on the dash. I just assumed that all was ok when tyres were replaced, it's a trust thing. The tyre shop said that there was no sensor, also explaining that newer sensors are now encapsulated ceramic, not steel that rusts and causes obviuos issues. Ah well.
I have done little mileage (now 55k) from new, but a bit pi..noyed to have to had to replace a tyre and have a buckled rim. Trusting in the tech? Bah!
Cheers, Lardy.
Oh. and thanks for the referal to the greenfield sites campaign, sign me up...

Return to “Problems / Questions”