Knocking/ticking on turning and proportional to speed

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

nocturnal
Currently Drives:: Megane Mk2 1.5DCi 2005

Knocking/ticking on turning and proportional to speed

Postby nocturnal » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi,

My trusty Megane II 1.5DCi year 2005, 132k milage, has the following symptoms:

For the past few years it was clunking over speed ramps (possibly the top strut bearings), however lately this disappeared.

In the last few months it developed knocking/ticking while turning a tight corner and especially from a cold start. (CV joints?)

On Saturday I had the motor over some seriously bad rural farm tracks albeit dead slow and since then:

The Megane is knocking with one tick per wheel revolution and therefore proportional with speed... Although with constant acceleration or constant braking the knocking disappears. If in neutral the knocking is loudest and at constant speed in any gear the knocking is audible. The knocking can be slightly felt through the steering wheel.

The symptoms have gotten worse very quickly in a few days with little mileage.

Last night I removed all the wheels to check each bearing. The front offside disc hub had lateral play from side to side but not from top to bottom. I thought about tightening the bearing but I think these are sealed? The car got new front hubs and discs 22,000 miles and 3 1/2 years ago so I thought these should be fine.

The lateral movement seemed to be occuring inside the rubber gaiter and the CV joint. All the other components, springs, droplinks etc. looked OK.

I do almost all my own spanner work if only I could diagnose it properly. The car isn't worth much but pulls well with no other problems with it.

Thanks

Nocturnal

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:20 am

There's an inner tie rod to check as well as the track rod end. A click every time the wheel turns could be something in the tyre.
lf there's fast clicking on full lock it's probably cv joint.
The worse it gets the easier it should be to find but instead of guessing and changing everything, take it for a cheap mot.
Good luck
Bob.

nocturnal

Re: Knocking/ticking on turning and proportional to speed

Postby nocturnal » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:14 pm

Thanks Bob,

I've been under the car again, both track rods and tie rods look ok including the bushes.

There is fast clicking steering both directions and movement in the joints when I shake the wheels up down and top bottom.

I am looking at used driveshafts on ebay, lots of them but none match the driveshaft number 8200432514 on the passenger nearside. The label is missing on the offside driveshaft.

Not sure if I need the exact numbers matching but I'll post a specific thread on it.

The localbreakers yard said any 1.5DCi Mk2 5 speed driveshaft will do but had none in stock.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi,
it's well worth checking out the new parts on ebay. You often get the measurements given and in most cases you can message the sellers with your reg no to confirm which are suitable. Also eurocarparts use the reg no then you can take note of part numbers etc.
If the car runs well and without other major issues, it has to be worth drive shafts.
Don't forget also that just the joints are available and if you're good with spanners, there are good videos with good tips on you tube.
Good luck
Bob.

nocturnal

Postby nocturnal » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:30 pm

Cheers Bob, I thought the outer cv joints were not replaceable on these driveshafts.

I tried europarts but nothing for my reg plate, it is a N Irish plate.

I didn't see any videos on how to do it, normally I just have a go at it.

It is a good running car but looking to change it maybe next year as the £30 expires etc., it does 80 mpg on the motorway, however soon it will need a new clutch, injectors, shocks, new bushes it could do with now as it crabs on corners but OK if you drive sensibly with no boy racer stuff (well beyond that madness!!!!)

Thanks

Return to “Problems / Questions”