Should this have passed MOT a month ago??

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Nrollin

Should this have passed MOT a month ago??

Postby Nrollin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:03 am

Hi everyone
I have an 11 plate Megane which I bought second hand a month ago. This morning I tried to drive off my driveway and thought the brakes were sticking because of the heavy frost.
The handbrake feels like it isn’t doing anything when I disengage it (there’s no resistance in the handle).
I can get the car to move, but it is as if I’m trying to drive away with the handbrake fully engaged.
Looking at the wheels, there is something that looks seriously wrong with the front wheels :( there’s what looks like a jagged broken line around where the disc meets the rest of the wheel. I will try to post a picture.

Any advice on what needs doing to fix it would be much appreciated. I’m absolutely gutted.

Nrollin

Re: Should this have passed MOT a month ago??

Postby Nrollin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:05 am

Hopefully this picture will come up: Image

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi,
when the cables get wet and then freeze, the hand brake can't release, just down to the weather l would have thought.
Sometimes banging the wheels with a chunk of wood or mallet works.
As for the front wheels need the picture for more clarity.
Bob.

Nrollin

Postby Nrollin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:06 pm

Here’s what the back wheels look like:

And this is what the front wheels look like. It’s as if they’re snapped all around the disc:

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi,
looks like somethings wrong there.
Could have got worse since mot test or not noticed.
Look up the mot history on dvla site see if there's an advisory notice for it.
Bob.

Nrollin

Postby Nrollin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:08 pm

Thank you for your input so far :-)
So I’ve had a mechanic look at the car and apparently the front discs have completely broken away and the car is dangerous :shock:

Considering I only bought the car five weeks ago, is it reasonable for the dealer to say there’s no way they could have known about it?

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:25 am

Mot is only valid for the date and time the vehiclle was inspected, as its an 11 plate and the discs look new on the breaking surface area, would say they are a cheapo replacement and not renault main dealer parts. Check on ebay and you will see the prices start as low as £30 a pair, last time I bought some for a 2008 I got tehm from a main dealer but non renault parts £80 inclusing pads. Backs too look relatively new, had a 12 plate dci that needed new rears at 3 year old and were blue from rear calipers sticking, according to Renault not a warranty item sir, that will be £400+ to replace at less than 36000 miles. Did them a year later and got rid of the car in April as wife wanted a smaller car.

Might be worth contacting previous owner and ask if they changed discs before they sold it or at any time in last 12 months, if so do they have a receipt, might be they did it themselves. Could ask dealer you bought it off for a copy of workshop repair sheet without telling them why you want it, that is if you havent already told them ! This would show if the discs were replaced bu them.
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

GREENCLAWS75
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.9 dCi estate Megane II 1.5 dCi

Postby GREENCLAWS75 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:52 pm

I would keep the old discs and measure the minimum thickness of the disc with a micrometer . If it's below the minimum allowed the discs are worn out and should have been replaced by the dealer otherwise the car was not 'fit for purpose' . Similarly if the rear pads or discs are below the wear limits or corrosion is excessive the dealer is responsible imho.

The calliper possibly just needs cleaning and copper grease applied. More than likely the dealer didn't do this but that's hard to prove. The Mot parking brake test isn't very strict so probably wouldn't pick up a sticky handbrake cable.

If it all checks out okay I think you have just been unlucky and it would be unreasonable to expect the dealer to know the disc would fracture imho. Some cars that do low mileages will suffer severe corrosion of the brake disc centre long before the disc itself wears away.

Return to “Problems / Questions”