Steering fault

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Finnie54
Currently Drives:: Renault megame. 1.4

Steering fault

Postby Finnie54 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:28 am

Hi hopefully someone can help. I have a Renault megane dynamquie 2004. I had a starter problem as car wouldn't start so used who can fix my car. Which got a mechanic out who fixed my starter turned out to be a broken cable. Cost £66. To fix so anyway. My car started. Now next day when I went to drive it for 1st time after fixed. It started the on dash said steering fault with red stop below it and also I can't get my bonnet opened any advice please and do you think mechanic did something to try get more work from me. Thanks

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Steering fault

Postby grandadbobby » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi,
there's a possibility the bonnet cable was wet and now frozen.
l've read a thread on these same lines somewhere about starter fix then steering fault.
When you get the bonnet open, try disconnecting the battery for an hour or more.
Although there's a fault on screen, does the steering still work.
lt could be it needs a fault code cleared, or at least have diagnostics to read what the fault is.
Very important now to have a diagnostic reader, or if you're in a recovery service, call them and get them to give you the fault code.
As for the mechanic, you could ring him and explain what's happened and see what he says.
Good luck
Bob.

Finnie54

Postby Finnie54 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:23 am

Hi steering is hard to turn also phoned mechanic. Told him about bonnet he was going charge to fix it. If I brought it. Said could drive it as says steering fault on dash. Never hear back from him

Finnie54

Postby Finnie54 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:24 am

Forgot to say thanks

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Process of elimination.
Check fuse F9 (70amp) in engine fuse box and F5E (5amp) engine multiplex module, l think it's underneath)
You need the battery out to access these, so check and clean all while your there.
just in case he blew the fuse doing the starter.
Good luck
Bob.

Return to “Problems / Questions”