Dashboard just stopped working!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

MarkSin
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II Estate

Dashboard just stopped working!

Postby MarkSin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:22 pm

I have a 2005 Megane II Estate.
Last night I started the car to drive for the first time in about a week, I had just reversed out of the driveway and the the dash went dark. I drove to the shops about 4 kms away and back home again with no change.
None of the gauges work, no speedo, temp, fuel as well as no lights on the dash. I can't hear the indicators ticking even though they work.
Everything else on the car seems to work.
Is there a fuse that controls all of this or is it something more serious?
I have read online that some Renaults have had a problem with their dashs (just like this) and that Renault has admitted the fault and replace the dashes at a well reduced cost?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Mark

alanf
Learner Driver

Re: Dashboard just stopped working!

Postby alanf » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:40 pm

I think it's a fairly common fault, a mate of mine had it fixed by Renault at a very reasonable cost, he may just have been lucky!

GREENCLAWS75
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.9 dCi estate Megane II 1.5 dCi

Postby GREENCLAWS75 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:13 pm

I had a similar fault. Luckily it was an easy fix just pulled up the binnacle over the clock gauges and found a plug at the back of the instruments was loose. Been fine since.

MarkSin
Passed Theory

Postby MarkSin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks guys, if Renault didn't charge much then it must be an easy fix and I will try to lift the top of the dashboard to see if I can find any loose cables.
Wish me luck :-)

MarkSin
Passed Theory

Postby MarkSin » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Back again.
I have just removed the binnacle cover (and broke a clip in the process :( ) I removed the instrument panel and tried to disconnect the electrical connectors. I moved the lever but still couldn't get the connectors apart. I wriggled the wires and the connector and then put everything back together and to my surprise the dashboard is working again :-)
I started the car and everything seems to be working ok. I haven't driven the car yet but I am hoping it will all go ok when I do.
I'm not sure if the instrument panel earths somewhere when it is in place and if that was the problem. I didn't bother to take it all apart again to check it out.
Thanks for your help and suggestions and I hope this post will help if someone else has the same problem.
Cheers and beers,
Mark

Return to “Problems / Questions”