Won't stay running until warm, help!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

LawDog
Currently Drives:: 2006 Renault Megane II 5d with the 1.6L

Won't stay running until warm, help!

Postby LawDog » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Recently purchased a 06 plate Megane II and didn't have a problem with it...until a few weeks ago when it just decided not to start.

Checked the code and it came up with an O2 sensor fault, P0136, and so I spent the money to get the sensor, had to break loose the o2 sensor and replaced it, cleared the code, and hit start. Still the same problem but now I have a P0135, o2 heat circuit, code along with an intermittent P0010, crank sensor, code.

I can get the car started, and keep it running with a bit of gas and keeping it over 2K but anything below that eventually it dies. I also found out that once the car is up to operating temp it'll stay running, stop/start, without a problem...although I haven't gone for more than a drive around the block to see for how long.

Am I missing something in the o2 circuit, or something else all together? Any help would be greatly appreciated to help get me pointed in the right direction.

--LD

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Won't stay running until warm, help!

Postby grandadbobby » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi,
not very up on petrol cars but, have you done the crank sensor and the first o2 sensor. You say you did the one, l believe there are 2 oxygen sensors and for sure the crank sensor needs doing. Reading forums, it's very often just the wiring and contacts.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
ps when a fault like this appears, read the codes, which may be old stored ones, clear them all then run engine and read again to see what's up with it now.
Bob.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Also was it a genuine 02 sensor or a spurious one, if the latter was the wiring already joined to a connector or did you have to solder/use crimp terminals ? remember working at a vauxhall main dealer and we had someone come in with the engine management light on, Astra C and theyd just had the o2 sensor changed at a local fast fit place. Wiring job was an absolute joke and there was no way that sensor was going to do the job with those connections.
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

fredcamp2
Learner Driver

Postby fredcamp2 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:19 pm

I would be much more inclined to think your dtc's are red herrings the oxy sensors on your vehicle has a 4 terminal plug 2 white heater wires 1 must have a 12v feed at key on the other 1 goes back to the ecu the other 2 wires 1 grey signal wire to the ecu & 1black earth wire. I would get the throttle body first & foremost as the systems you describe certainly covers this. most likely checks you should make on this problem. coolant temp sensor Intake air tempature sensor

Return to “Problems / Questions”