Privilege Interior Door Handles

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

andrew_s46

Privilege Interior Door Handles

Postby andrew_s46 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:12 pm

Hi,
i have not had my car for very long (approx 2 weeks of so). when i picked up the car it had some minor damage to the interior grab handle (the one you pull on to shut the door, also had mirror switch at the top of it) in which some of the rubberised parts of it are flaking off exposing black plastic.
it has now started doing it on the passenger side aswell.
is there any fix for this?

i did a search and could not really find much on the topic.

any help would be great as it is one of those annoying little niggles which is spoiling what is on the hole a great car.

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Postby Jonault » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:19 pm

If it's a new car, this should be covered by warranty. If not, try negotiating with the garage you bought it from.
I've seen a thread about the coating coming off the interior door handles somewhere in the forum so hopefully the author will spot this and offer advice.
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

andrew_s46

Postby andrew_s46 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:34 pm

it is a 54 plate and runs out of warranty at the end of September 2007.

If it is covered under warranty then i will have a go, although my local garage is not entirely helpful when it comes to warranty claims.

Thanks for the advice

can anybody confirm this?

dwgendy
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II Sedan, 1.6 - 16V, Grey.

Postby dwgendy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:04 pm

Well, I had the same problem, but I never thought of claiming it under warranty, I have no idea why!!! :? Probably I thought it is a tear and wear so I just didn't think I can claim it!! But what I did to prevent further pealing is that I bought a tenis bat handel cover, almost the same color and used it around to cover the pealing parts. But first I put a layer of white Tyflon tap (the one used as a seal for water pipes connections as it is non adhesive) then put the tenis bat handel cover ontop of that, so that if I change my mind about it one day, taking it off won't peal the rest of the door handel.
This pealing you will find in place of where your knee leans on the door, try not to do so as much as possible. But agian, may be it is not, here in Egypt we drive left side, my left knee will naturally be free to lean on the door, you drive right side, so your right knee is busy away from the door at all time!!
Megane II sedan, 2005, 1.6, 16V, Steptronic.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:25 pm

This is a well documented problem and should be covered by your warranty, take no SH** from your dealer, it's not wear and tear!
It's bad design.

Apparently sun cream is very good at removing this rubberised coating :roll:
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

theV
Currently Drives:: 2003's Renault Megane II 1.6 16V Luxe Privilege

Re: Privilege Interior Door Handles

Postby theV » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:08 am

Sorry to revive an old topic but it concerns exactly my problem

I'm out of warranty, I don't want to buy a brand new handle and I cannot find a used one at junkyards etc. (I cannot find scrap Meganes at all, actually :-()

The leather/tennis wrap is a clever solution! but I'd like something less personalized, more "invisible".
Something which could seem like from the factory.

I'm willing to dismount it, completely remove the "rubber" coating with some powerful solvent, then paint it with some resistant enamel, let it cure and reinstall.

My question is, which kind of paint do I need?
Epoxy? Polyurethanic? Other enamels?

I need something which stands years of sun/UV light, heat to some degree (I think 60/70°C would be ok), repeated contacts from normal usage.
A very "definitive" paint...

Has anyone any hint for me?

Thanks in advance :-)
2003 Renault Megane II 1.6 16V Luxe Privilege; LPG

Return to “Problems / Questions”