Starter Motor noise?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

empireday
Currently Drives:: 53 plate megane expression 1.6i

Starter Motor noise?

Postby empireday » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:09 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, I bought a Megane 1.6 expression on a 53 plate a month ago. Every now and then when i start the car up I get a rattling/grinding noise from what seems to be the starter motor. I've taken it back to the garage and despite it not making the noise for them they put a reconditioned starter motor on it. I am still having the same problem though.I let them keep the car overnight and start it when it was cold but it still didn't to it for them. They are a decent garage and have said that when they can identify the problem they will gladly repair it.
Any clues anyone? I find it hard to believe that the Bendix is sticking on 2 different starters.
Thanks
Andrew

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Starter Motor noise?

Postby AlexB » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:10 pm

It's not the starter -- it's the dephaser. See this:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8033
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

empireday

Postby empireday » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:46 pm

Thanks Alex, any idea on price? will it damage engine if not fixed quickly? will be in contact with garage tomorrow expecting a bit of a battle, when they said they would sort it i would imagine they thought it may just be starter/solenoid.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:26 am

I have no idea, my car is different. Many people wrote here about the costs, so search the recent posts.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

terry_mccann
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane SportsTourer 1.9 dCi 120 PS, 01/2004, Polargrey, Confort Privilege (Partial leather, Alpine 9871RR, 16"-Alloys, 6-speed)
My gallery: http://meganeboard.de/viewtopic.php?t=3437&start=0

Postby terry_mccann » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:24 pm

@empireday

that is a very common petrol-engined-megane-problem....and it does not exactly throw a good light on your dealer who should know this....
Megane Grandtour 1.9 dCi 120 PS, 01/2004, Polargrey, Confort Privilege (Partial leather, Alpine 9871RR, 16"-Alloys, 6-speed)
My gallery: http://meganeboard.de/viewtopic.php?t=3437&start=0

WebCode
Rally Driver

Postby WebCode » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:05 pm

About £600 to fix, but there is no damage if not done, just the inconvenience of the noise and stalling..
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

empireday

Postby empireday » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:15 am

Just to update anyone who may be interested in the outcome of my trips to the garage last week.
I went to my local Renault dealer to have a chat with them and describe the problem i was having, they said straight away that it would be the Dephaser pulley and that it would cost £583 to replace. I then went down to the independent garage that i got the car from. I explained that i had identified what the problem was ( with the help of info from this site and Renault Worksop), I expected a real battle with them because of the cost involved. They were absolutely brilliant, the head mechanic of the garage told me that if he had heard the noise when the car was left with them overnight he would have known what the problem was and sorted it straight away. He ordered the parts from Renault Worksop last Thursday and fitted them yesterday. Because the timing belt has to come off to effect the repair, we agreed that I would pay half the cost for a full set of belts, so I've paid £60 towards the cost.
I was so afraid last week when i found out how much it may cost me and explained this to the mechanic, he said that they were the sort of garage that if they sell a car, they want everything to be spot on, and will try everything to make it so.

If anyone lives in the Worksop/Chesterfield area then check out Motor Save Co in Staveley, I can't praise them highly enough.

Andrew

Return to “Problems / Questions”