Wipers, Indicators + more not working after jump starting

The section for all Megane I talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

smalex

Wipers, Indicators + more not working after jump starting

Postby smalex » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi guys

Firstly, just a big thanks to everyone on this forum for making it so great - your advice has come in so handy to me on so many occasions in the past, but I'm really stuck on this one and hopefully someone will be able to offer advice.

Ok, so I did a pretty stupid thing with my V reg, Ph1 megane coupe - the battery had run down, so I tried jump starting it from a Ford Focus. Without realising, I connected the wrong terminals and the wires started to melt. Whipped them straight off, and started to check out what damage i'd done.

Now, the headlights work, the dash clock and instrument lights all work + the passenger elec window. But... I've lost my central locking, driver's side elec window, indicators, interior lights.

Checking out the advice on this forum, I understand that all these things have a connection with the fuse box next to the battery, so last weekend gained access to it and checked out the fuses. All seemed ok, slightly corroded, but I understand that's a common problem also. Decided to replace the fuses, and give the box a good clean. Plugged it back it, but nothing :-(

Have I completely ruined the car? I'm reluctant to take it to a garage, because I'll be selling the car anyway (my main car is now the focus). Hoping that I don't have to spend lots of money, just to get it working to sell.

Any advice you guys could offer would be really really appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: Wipers, Indicators + more not working after jump startin

Postby ChrisM » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:41 am

Is there a fuse box inside the car possibly around the driver wheel area maybe where the door shuts against the dash area I am half sure there ia another box there as well, you may have blown some relays as well, i.e flasher relay and central locking relay, no tsure about the window reg, seems to me there are more fuses knocking around somewhere.
Maybe the use of a circuit tester might aid the search, trying the fuse box under bonet to see if there is power going there to the "non" working items, may bring some light on to where power is and where it isn't going.

smalex

Postby smalex » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:23 am

Hey - cheers for the reply.

There is another fuse box as you said, under the dash towards the door, but I've checked all the fuses there and all seem to be ok... I think it could possibly be the relays, although I'm not sure where they are located... any ideas?

Thanks again for your help.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:41 am

Well Accroding to haynes they should be in the main fuse box under the bonnet, the wife seems to have a couple of "boxes" in there but I would have thought there would be more than that, I take it the 60amp mains fuses are ok, can't quite make it out I am sure it is not 6amp.
will try and get diaolgies working this weekend see if that says differant for fuse and relay postions. The wife has a 1999 V reg Coupe.

smalex

Postby smalex » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:56 pm

Yeah - i've checked the 60a fuses. They were pretty corroded, but not blown - i replaced them with new anyway and tried to clean the contacts too.

I couldn't see any relays in that part though, unless I'm being really dumb...

Cheers again.

smalex

Postby smalex » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:01 am

Hey - just thought i'd update.

Managed to fix this - turns out it was a 5a fuse on the inside of the car (relating to illumination/immobiliser). I thought i'd checked all the fuses, but must have missed this one out.. grrr..

Thanks for your help anyway!

Return to “Megane I”