Indicator problem

The section for all Megane I talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bazza76
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Coupe 1.4 year 2000

Indicator problem

Postby bazza76 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:23 am

Hi all,

MY wife drives a renault megane coupe, it is a year 200 1.4L engine.
When she indicates to turn, sometimes the indicators go into overdrive and they start flashing twice as fast and also sometimes all the indicator lights come on, she had a car stop her to tell her this today.
Also, if she is indicating when she is braking, this seems to make all the indicators go twice as fast too.
After a quick search on the internet, I seen some people advising to take a look at the "multi plug" saying:

just remove muliti plug close the gaps of connetions up and treat with contact cleaner this shoul almost certainly solve the problem

or

Open the boot and remove the lighting block and disconnect the connecting block. You should be able to see a bit of blackening on one of the pins where it has overheated. Get a small file and remove the black bits and maybe bend the pins a bit to improve the connection. Do this to both the left and right set of lights and put everything back.

Forgive me for being really think, but I don't know what a multi plug is, or a connecting block.
An idiots guide would be really greatly appreciated for dealing with this, if it is something simple like above, just tell me what exactly these things are and i will go clean them, or straighten them etc...
or if you think it might be something else, then i am all ears. please bear in mind, money is really tight for us right now, and we are not in a position to be going to the garage to get the issue fixed at present.

Thanks for your time,

regards,

baz

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: Indicator problem

Postby ChrisM » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Hi Baz
just remove muliti plug close the gaps of connetions up and treat with contact cleaner this shoul almost certainly solve the problem

I am taking a guess this is for the headlamps, open bonnet and look down the back of the headlamp towards the bottom of the lamp (I think it is) there is a black plug with around 5 or 6 wires in it, this is a multi plug this plug powers your headlamp unit light wise it operates your headlamps side lights and indicators I think, I can not quite remember till the weekend and get a look at the wifes Coupe, could well be confusing it with mine, you might have a seperate conector for the indicator, again if you pop your head under the bonnet and have a look around the headlamp area you should be able to trace the conectors quite simply, will take a look at the wifes on Saturday. also has all the earth wires from the unit, at a guess they want you to disconect this plug and squirt it with contact cleaner, this may prove to be a little difficult and you may have to an internet serach to remove front bumper to get the lamp out, this is worse case, the Meg 1,s are quite good for finger and eye room.

Open the boot and remove the lighting block and disconnect the connecting block. You should be able to see a bit of blackening on one of the pins where it has overheated. Get a small file and remove the black bits and maybe bend the pins a bit to improve the connection. Do this to both the left and right set of lights and put everything back.

Again, rather simple really, open boot lid, insert headinto boot area (quite difficult on these coupes) and look towards rear light cluster from inside boot, you will see a black cover, remove this cover I think it has a large plastic screw type objet you turn once this cover is off, you can clearly see the wires and plugs going into the rear light unit, just pull em off and clean as you where told on the web.

If this does not cure you could be looking at a flasher relay playing up, we had a problem with the passenger front lamp for a while every time it was damp you would have to stop just the once and give the wing by the headlamp a sturdy slap, as the indicators on that side would flash like mad once the slap was done she behaved for the rest of the trip, we changed headlamps on it as it has the single opric lamps in so we put twin optics in and she has not done it since, I am guesing we either had a live problem or and earth problem with that lamp, they never all came on though, this is what made me mention the flasher unit, as in the good old days of Britsh Leyland when a flasher unit went it either flashed either side like mad as if a bulb had gone or put them all on at once, you may need to look in haynes manual for its position.

bazza76
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Coupe 1.4 year 2000

Re: Indicator problem

Postby bazza76 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:12 am

thanks for the reply chris, i will look at this in the wifes car as soon as I can mate and report back with the results :-)

Return to “Megane I”