gearbox issue

The section for all Megane III talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

wayneboth
Currently Drives:: Megane 19dci GT line 11 plate

gearbox issue

Postby wayneboth » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:12 am

Hi guys can anyone help i have a 11 plate megane 19dci GTline. Recently iv been unable to select second it goes in smooth but when you leave clutch out the engine just revs . now I'm having problems with reverse too. The car as done 70000 should a gearbox go in a 3 year old car. Warrenty as just run out. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks Wayne.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: gearbox issue

Postby AlexB » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Check the cables before everything else. 2nd and reverse are on the same cable in some boxes, not sure about this one.

My concern is about you writing that the 2nd goes in "smooth". Does it mean you feel operation of the synchromesh, which works nicely, or that you have no skill of feeling it when moving the stick? In the latter case you may have missed any early signs o failure, and may be still missing a strage feeling when engaging 4th...

Anyway, the controls of your box are described in MR427MEGANE3.pdf in the sticky thread with manuals in Problems forum. Check operation of the cables, the next will be the box itself.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

wayneboth

Postby wayneboth » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:16 pm

Hi Alex firstly thanks for your reply what I mean by second going in smooth when moving gear stick there is no grinding noise . just slides in and stays not sure if its ingaged though. Am I right by saying you think it could be linkage issue possibility. If it is a internal box issue do you think a gearbox should fail like this after 3 years .cheers wayne

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:25 pm

No, I don't think the gearbox should fail that early. They usually fail due to lack of oil and make a lot of noise in the process. In your case, one gear disappeared, then another, no noise, all on the same cable and the same selector. Just look under the bonnet and examine how the selectors are moving on the box. In this weather it is probably easier to take the car to a garage, if you know a trusted garage, of course.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

wayneboth

Postby wayneboth » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:19 am

Hi guys a quick update gearbox stripped down and internal selector r changed as old one snapped . gearbox refitted now fault codes engine management light on and drop of power. Don't know what's happening car drove fine into garage except for gearbox. Car been on machine but unable to clear fault codes does anyone have any ideas to sort this mess out . is there a factory reset I can do . cheers in advance
Wayne

Return to “Megane III”