Water in Boot

The section for all Megane III talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

celticstar
Currently Drives:: Megane III

Water in Boot

Postby celticstar » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:27 pm

Spotted allot of rainwater in the boot where the spare is stored.
Went to dealer, though under extended warranty they said Renault would take no responsibility.
So I put on my detective hat and investigated.
Water follows a "channel" on both sides of the back door right beside the rubber boot seal, down behind a black plastic panel, right down the metal column and out onto the road through an opening in the frame underneath the car.
Along its journey it meets a plastic lug whose function is to meet the boot door as it closes. This lug is mounted on the frame. The seal at this lug/frame meeting point lets water in through to the boot area.
This has to be a design flaw. Every time the boot door closes this lug absorbs some of the sudden stop shock which will inevitably weaken its mounting seal to the frame. Car is 5 years old and boot door is not used excessively, say 5 times a week.
Problem is this lug is very difficult to access as there are two lawyers of metal and the mounting is on the underneath lawyer.
Anyone know how to fix it?
Can I just yank it out? And try to replace with a seal?

MDJ12
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.4 TCE Dynamique Tomtom

Re: Water in Boot

Postby MDJ12 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:56 am

Hi,

Did you ever fix this issue and if so how did you fix it, I've noticed I have the same fault.

Thanks

MDJ12
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Sport Tourer 1.4 TCE Dynamique Tomtom

Re: Water in Boot

Postby MDJ12 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:40 am

I resolved my issue and it may not be the same as yours was.
The water was entering my boot through the high level brake light, the rubber seal had perished and the water was running through and around the plastic boot trim giving the illusion it was the boot seal.

I should mention that mine is a Sport Tourer but this would be worth checking on other body styles.

Return to “Megane III”