time to say goodbye

The section for all Megane III talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

time to say goodbye

Postby Phil and Liz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:59 pm

A couple of weeks ago a young girl hit the back of my car in snow, low speed but bumper damage, before this had sat in traffice for over an hour and froze. Wife been complaining driving her car was causing her sciaitica pains whe driving home, so decided to go automatic and might be buying a 65 clio dci dynamique s navman auto. Hopefully better on fuel and warmer as well. Shame really as quite like the mk iii but the fuel consumption has been bad for a diesel and she does not like it for country roads as it has 6 gears and is too wide. Not a car i've really bonded with and quite looking forward to the clio plus the mkii 08 for winter use.
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: time to say goodbye

Postby Stranger » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:12 pm

Sorry to hear about the incident I hope everyone involved is alright.

However, every cloud has a silver lining. I do like the new Clio, I think it's a really nice looking car.

Good luck with it and keep us updated, would be nice to see some pics once you've got it ;)
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Re crash

Both OK, poor girl was in tears as she got out of the car, 66 plate astra brand new and first time in her life she'd driven on snow and didnt realise cars dont stop the same. 2 mph if that at impact, havent heard if she is claiming whiplash fromher insurers, lol.

Thing is dont think ive ever really bonded with this car, poor mpg and even poorer heater. Was driving the old 08 one and still like that.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Didnt buy the 65 15 plate clio, was priced at 10995 and got messed about by dealer then price went up to 11495 ! Told em to cancel, this weekend managed to snap up a 66 plate 16 nav s with 5000 miles for 11200 from evans halshaw. So a year younger, less miles and either 200 less or 300 more depending on the price originally quoted or listed price. Happy days ! pick up thursday.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Stranger
Site Admin

Postby Stranger » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:35 pm

Phil and Liz wrote:Didnt buy the 65 15 plate clio, was priced at 10995 and got messed about by dealer then price went up to 11495 ! Told em to cancel, this weekend managed to snap up a 66 plate 16 nav s with 5000 miles for 11200 from evans halshaw. So a year younger, less miles and either 200 less or 300 more depending on the price originally quoted or listed price. Happy days ! pick up thursday.

Result!

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:28 pm

Picked up the clio thursday night, serviced, scuffed wheel repaired and new floor mats. Great deal except got hit 0.24% for paying by debit card, £25 on wifes card so she hasnt let me forget about it ! Salesman said he told me but I dont remember, tried signing me up to a 3 year service plan £20 a month for 3 services. Undecided on that one. Think if I'd have gone into my local bank they would have needed a weeks notice for that much cash. I drove it back from Edinburgh, quite nippy for a 90 bhp 1.5, dual clutch auto gearbox is really good, stop start taking some getting used to as is climate control.

A couple of miles from home I pulled over and said to my wife ' wanna drive ?' and she said yes as she was on home turf, told her what to do, 2 miles later weve not gone home but gone on a diversion, she then comes out with the comment 'this is so easy, why have we never had automatics before?' short answer road tax and mpg, this one is free and should do atleast the same as the old 08 megane.

Took it to work today as she was not working and filled it up after our weekend jollies, £35 to fill it up from quarter full, new Megane used to be over £60 and I think £50 for the 08 megane.Much prefer the analogue fuel guage, cool blue warnign light for temp guage when cold, seems to warm up a lot faster than the 110 bhp.

Only complaint so far is the audio, bluetooth, navigation system, the garage called when we were driving, answered it ok but we couldnt hear them, raised teh volume all the way and they called back, still couldnt hear them. Tried it at home and it was ok if volume was raised to max, wife called her sister while driving and also spoke to me on the bluetooth, each time the sound was ecohy and scratchy. Might need to get that looked at.

All in all though it seems like a good buy, her indoors is happy and we got a 6 month old car with a saving of £7k on cost new.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Stranger
Site Admin

Postby Stranger » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:39 am

Jeez :shock: I've never heard of getting stiffed for paying by Debit card, credit card yes but never debit, it'll be to repay some of the overspend that wee jimmie is mounting up for Scotland.

My previous Octavia vRS DSG was the same RFL as a manual, was actually better on fuel than a manual and was quicker. I drive autos 'cos it's much easier for me following one too many motorbike crashes but I think I'd have switched to them anyhow with the amount of traffic about these days. Speaking of which I now won't consider a car without stop start technology, wasn't keen at first but I now get annoyed when mine doesn't activate due to the car not having warmed up enough.

The Clio sounds corking! I think they're a really good looking car, the engines are so good and frugal and the kit is superb. Good to hear that the gearbox is good as I might consider one when I come to change from the piece of shite I have at the moment.

I almost got the wife a 1.2 TcE until she insisted on having another Hyundai, fair do's to her, it is a cracking wee motor :-)

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Stranger, I think its just Evans Halshaw that has the debit card charge at the moment, they make a big deal of having the lowest screen price then add on the charges, £99 for hpi check etc.. Economy wise so far its mid 50's with wife driving, she's a bit of a speed freak on the straights and a quarter of her journey is narrow country roads up and down hills so cant expect much better. Certainly not the 80mpg advertised. When its clean again will try and get photos. Cant see me getting to use it much, last weekend i twice managed to nearly launch my wife through the windscreen at low speed thinking I was putting the clutch down and hitting the brake pedal ! It is smaller, that is what I knew and that was the idea, comfy well equipped but the bluetooth is poor, like talking in a drainage pipe eating a packet of crisps just about describes the sound quality. Overall happy with the deal and managed to get a personal loand at 2.9% apr
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:41 pm

My insurance broker just advised the cost of repairs was £1200, thats lower bumper panel, repair the main bumper and paint the n/s corner of the bumper. Was expecting £3-500, wonder if that figure includes the repairs to her car as she accepted responsibility or if just more expensive for the repairer to come to your home.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Stranger
Site Admin

Postby Stranger » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:01 pm

hmmmmmm are you thinking of getting it repaired and then selling?

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Stranger, no the damage was on the 62 megane dci tom tom and that is what we p/ex'd for the cliothe repairs were completed about 2 weekws before we sold it, I get to keep the 08 dci 3 door as bad weather wheels, complete with another damaged rear bumper wher she dragged it along the pebble dashed corner of the housee. Always said it didnt look that bad but now its not in daily use might get round to it.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Stranger
Site Admin

Postby Stranger » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:12 pm

With you, couldn't get my head around what you'd traded in etc.

Good luck sorting the pebble dash rash on the 08 ;)

Return to “Megane III”