the coffee cup challenge!

The section for all Megane III talk.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

SirSerf
Currently Drives:: Megane TomTom Dynamique 1.5dCi (2013)

the coffee cup challenge!

Postby SirSerf » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:47 pm

I know you shouldn't base the purchase of your car on where you can put your coffee cup but one of the first things that disappointed with my Mégane III was there is no place to put your cup of tea/coffee. The space allocated in the console in front of the gear stick doesn't offer enough headroom for your standard take away cup without titling forward. Even if espresso is your thing and you get it in one of those half size cups it still isn't readily accessible with the gear stick forward. Maybe it's a French thing that they don't drink while on the road so saw no need for cup space but I spend a couple of hours a day on work commute so like a cuppa! So my challenge within my first days of driving the Mégane was to see where I could fit a cup holder!
None of the options commonly available appealed to me. I didn't like the idea of a cup holder being attached to the air grill, just added to dash clutter. Thought the type that hang from the door/window edge would be too close for comfort as I drive and would be awkward to get the cup. Did think the type that wedge between the passenger seat and gear stick console might be an option but not great for my frequent front seat passengers. Also this type had two cup holders and other space so felt it would just accumulate bits over time!

Sitting in the driver seat I wanted somewhere I could hold the cup that was in easy reach so I don't have to stretch yet not interfering with any other part of the car. The ideal location for me was to hang it from the drivers door pocket!

This worked great but does have a flaw in that I occasionally would hit the holder with my foot getting in/out of the car. Eventually one of these 'kicks' cracked the holder. Time for a rethink!

A further visit to Halfords and I found the answer with this 'soft' drink holder. This is a lot more forgiving of the occasional kick!

As for that restricted cup space in front of the gear stick I found a better use for it. I always like to have a pen to hand without having to root around the glove compartment or in the door pocket. So using one of the kids paint pots I have the perfect holder for a few pens!

I'd be interested in seeing a few pics of how others have solved the coffee up challenge in their Mégane!!

copas
Currently Drives:: Megane coupe MK3

Re: the coffee cup challenge!

Postby copas » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:01 pm

I'm stating the obvious but what about the one next to the handbrake. Mine has a removable tub (Renault option I think). When its removed there's a cup size indent. Only problem you may snag it when reaching for the handbrake. I don't drink on the move but when if do have a travel mug for work it goes in the centre console storage box with a bit of bubble wrap, this way at least it stays upright for the journey as for some reason most travel mugs don't have an effective rubber seal. Good look on your quest......

SirSerf
Currently Drives:: Megane TomTom Dynamique 1.5dCi (2013)

Postby SirSerf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Thanks copas, but don't recognise the cup holder beside the handbrake you mention. Mine is a Dynamique TomTom and the central console has the controls for the satnav.

Maybe you have a photo?

copas
Currently Drives:: Megane coupe MK3

Postby copas » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:12 pm

oh see what you mean, did not realise the dynamique was so different around the center console, the imusic and expression models have a cup/tub inset to the right of the handbrake.

Return to “Megane III”