Rear window mechanism not working.

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Nasha
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2 CC, 2004, 1.6

Rear window mechanism not working.

Postby Nasha » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:18 pm

Just thought I'd post on here that I had a problem with the off side rear window. It just dropped, the motor still worked but would not go up. I took it apart and found the cables come of the pulley. They were in a right state. I called Renault garage and they do not do replacements, you have to buy the lot!. So I searched, I found a cable repair kit on e bay, it cost £11 and replaced the cables. It took a total of 3 hours. Saved loads and its as good a new!!

Don't know if it's on here already about this easy fix, but just felt the need to share!!

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Re: Rear window mechanism not working.

Postby q292u » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:22 pm

Well done!
That's exactly the sort of info we need on here - how to keep stuff working without handing over your life savings to Renault..

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Postby ChrisM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:23 pm

Use your old springs. The ebay kit springs are about 5mm to long so the "down" cable can get caught as the motor pulls on the cable and as the cable stretches it gets worse.
Learnt this from experience.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:09 pm

Easy enough to find search ebay for:
Megane window reg repair kit.
Megane rear window cables.
Megane rear window regulator.

Any one of these will find these repair kits will be marked as cc cables bear in mind cc and hatch cables are different. Also remember the kits are sided not so much the cables but the spindles are.
Expect to pay between £35 down to £9 for a set, I buy the £9 ones.
Bit akward to fit and no guides on u tube but do-able. I use an oblong bit of plastic with two slots in you put the cable slides into the slots use a g-clamp to compress the springs right down then wind the cables onto spindle pop spindle into the housing and release g clamp.
Rear windows don't have a learning mode.
Temics can also be repaired on ebay between £25/30.
If you are a DIYer you will get use to repairing these its a common fault.

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:21 am

ChrisM wrote:Easy enough to find search ebay for:
Megane window reg repair kit.
Megane rear window cables.
Megane rear window regulator.

Any one of these will find these repair kits will be marked as cc cables bear in mind cc and hatch cables are different. Also remember the kits are sided not so much the cables but the spindles are.
Expect to pay between £35 down to £9 for a set, I buy the £9 ones.
Bit akward to fit and no guides on u tube but do-able. I use an oblong bit of plastic with two slots in you put the cable slides into the slots use a g-clamp to compress the springs right down then wind the cables onto spindle pop spindle into the housing and release g clamp.
Rear windows don't have a learning mode.
Temics can also be repaired on ebay between £25/30.
If you are a DIYer you will get use to repairing these its a common fault.

Why don't you post a how-to on YouTube?

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:37 pm

Its having the time to do something like that I have quite a busy life too busy infact and these cars always break when you are most under pressure so 1st thing on mind repair/bodge it, last thing on mind photograph/video it.
The problem I have with this forum is the same one I have had for seven years. Before this car I had a fiat bravo joined fiat forum and what a superb set of lads any issue was resolved usually with a minum of 3 participants.
This forum is so lacking with any real technical help and always has been anything slightly out of the norm its off to dealer the European sites are much better but difficult to understand. Peugeot forums are even worse but with them the knowledge is there you just have to bow n scrape first to find it on this site I feel the knowledge isn't there as most on here seem to use dealer or local garage so therefore no information through put.
Shame really.

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:05 pm

As a relative newcomer to the Megane, this forum has been very helpful to me.
Everyone is in the same boat: we want to fix the cars, without paying Renault prices. We learn as we go.
Information on here saved me an £80 bill in the first week (blower resistor pack) for example.
However, we are all busy people, so we just do the best we can.
Nobody is getting paid for this, remember..

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:49 pm

Nobody got paid on fiat forum either.
7 years I have had my car and about the same time on here, in all that time never been to a main dealer or local garage with this meg I have had to find about 90% of my answers myself with about 10% off here you'll find this when you come across something a little less common.
There have been a few rear reg fixes over the years not a single video or how to.
As for me start work 8 finish 6 then an hour drive home so home for 7 sat I finish at 4 so Iget 1 day off a week so as you can see down time is very limited which has to cover house maintenance, garden, , shopping , family stuff and two cars to watch over so as said toooo busy for videos but try you tube you wont find a rear reg on there either so I guess nobody has done one mine are both in and working for now but it seems you have an opertunity to record yours I mearly made an observation on springs based on my failures in the hope someone wont fall into same trap and hear the horrific BANG you get when the cable guide breaks under the strain.
A more recent question I asked was about the radio amplifier .... no response. Also followed for a while ac drain off postion still don't know really where to look as the thread just kind of died.
I am glad you saved money from here as to me this is what it's all about but I will say again not enough technical info comes through it...
I know nobody gets paid I didn't get paid for telling you about springs but like I said at the start the fiat boys don't either yet on there you can ask anything from testing a potensio meter to what the best aftermarket remote locking kit to buy and best way to connect it they will answer in depth longest I waited for a reply was two days minimum of 3 lads in conversation in a thread I can't say I have had or seen an unanswered thread. So you see I guess I was spoilt on there so I find it quite frustrating with the lack of technical info I have in the past done quite indepth threads on rear window reg removal and throttle hand brake removal n repair for others to use but myself the problems I have come across have in the majority been solved myself as nobody seem to have an answer on here so I am really glad you saved money I hope you find answers on here next time I watch and if have something helpful to say I will jump in.
I have had 7 years in this car now but to be fair to it; it's been quite a good car.

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:12 pm

Here's the link for the CC version: Megane Window Reg Repair Kit CC

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:15 pm

Wouldn't you like to know what the differance is?
Ranging from 9:99 to 24:99???
Last time I did mine about 2 months back I paid 9:99 with free post loolong back the first lot L & R 6:50 with free post then bought another driver one 3months later at 12:99 free post some sellers at this point where selling at 35:00 plus 6:00 post then ended up 2 months back at 9:99 free post for passenger again but the driver one same seller 12:99 ??
Some of them even look like same kits!
Personally I refuse to pay more than 12:00 for a kit that renault aay cannot be done its a new reg or nothing.

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:30 pm

Speaking as an online seller myself.. I would adjust my prices so that I got the best prices I could. No point selling 10 items with 10p profit on each if I can sell 5 and make 50p each..

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Ebay is nowhere near as good as it used to be and definitely not the bargain site everyone still thinks it is.
Lost count now of the idiot sellers who have an auction the item sells but for not as much as the seller wanted so they simply don't send it out. Of my past 8 purchases I have had 6 of these idiots. At one time ebay would have jumped all over them...not anymore.
And prices...well again this week we have had a customer at our counter for a charge air pipe seal. Amazed at dealer price of £2:65 with vat. Seller on ebay £12:50 with free post listed as difficult to get hold of at dealerships. ... we have 15 in stock so not really that difficult to get to location bin.

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:30 pm

I'm amazed these sellers are still in business. My ebay feedback rate is 100%.
On the odd occasion that someone has a gripe and reports something to eBay, eBay ALWAYS sides with the buyer. The seller (me) ends up out of pocket AND minus the item. I suppose if no-one reports things to eBay, then they'll keep getting away with it, but it's ridiculously easy to report an problem to eBay these days.

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:11 pm

Not as easy as it use to be plus when you finally get to speak to them they are so non committal its laughable. I use to sell for my employer 6 years back and at that time ebay where horrendous they really made sure u traded well.
Now well the usual ploy is non response. So the ball is aways with the buyer as you have parted with money you keep messaging, no responce eventually you get fed up and start the item not received case which then give seller the refund button which they do instantly... result ebay happy as process has worked seller happy still has item to re sell buyer hissed off as another wasted effort even worse when it's a present. If they do respond you will get either:
1) it broke when I wrapped it
2) my dog ate it, this was actually said about a pot wizzard.
3) the most used one! My grandfather/mother or mother/father has died I am sorry this is inconvenient for you.
May occasionally this happens but item should still be sent but it never and strangly only when you get a real bargin, happens a bit to much.
Report all the above and more the above are the common ones used more than 3 times ebay are uninterested as long as you get refund which you always do thats all they care about now not that botherd about how you trade as long as you refund.
Can you imagine buying something from argos for Christmas at £29:99 but never getting it because argos have now decided they dont want to sell it at that price now.
So just beware if you sell something on ebay thats cheap your grand parents or parents might die, as that seems to be a common thing on ebay these days.
You know in its early years it was such a great place to trade, not any more I am afraid

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:16 pm

I agree. I really liked it when it was just Joe Public selling to Joe Public.

Return to “Megane CC”