Rear window fault

Information and general chat about the Megane II CC.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Coupe77
Currently Drives:: Astra 2.2 coupe
Rebuilding a megane 2 1.6v vvt cc

Rear window fault

Postby Coupe77 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:49 am

Has anybody got a how2 on replacing the 2 cables and
The plastic cable guide that is driven by the motor
As the cable has failed I have the kit just not sure on the best way to fit it

ChrisM
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 1.9Dci and a Pugeot 307 cc 2.0 HDi sport.

Re: Rear window fault

Postby ChrisM » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:00 am

I have no images.
You will need
1 length of timber about 10 mm thick or a bit of plastic (ridigid)
1 g clamp.
USE YOUR OLD SPRINGS!! I found the kit springs about 2mm short and I found they would allow the plastic guide to pop out or jam on the inner cable the down one I think so you will be in for another repair within a month or so when the cable stretches.

The length of timber or plastic is used to hold the two cables so you will need to cut 2 slots in it so the timber will sit on the two white plastic guides that slide into the motor. The g clamp is used to compress both springs on the cable guides in the motor.
So.
First fit cables to window side of reg fit both of them
Now wrap the first cable around the lower side of the plastic wheel this should then allow you to put the wheel nicely into the motor.
With both cables in the motor guides slide the bit of timber or plastic on to the cables and push it down on to the white plastic guide.
Secure the g clamp on part on the slotted timber the winding part on the other side of the motor and wind down the clamp to compress both cables, it doesn't take much but it will help imensly wind it until both are fully compressed iin the motor cable guides.
Now wrap top cable and push onto shoulder on the motor cover once this is done undo the g clamp using a finger just to steady the plastic wheel.
With the clamp fully removed you can take your finger off the plastic wheel as the spring tension will keep it in place.
Wiggle top cover around till fully in place and secure with the 3 bolts now fix motor back to regulator
Will see if I can get an image of my home made plastic tool tomorrow night for you to get an idea.
Rears don't need to do the button reset thing you adjust them manually.

What has happened over the years the cables stretch and the plastic guide either comes out of the motor housing or gets jammed on an angle this stops the motor balancing tension on the cables so they cross over inside the motor on the plastic wheel thus locking one of the cables and bang! It breaks one of the cable attachments on the window end game over! If you search utube you will find someone who has made am alloy "catcher" which is cabletied to the motor so the inner cable can not jump or jam looks a good idea just well in truth could not be bothered myself just wanted it back in and working asap!
Without the clamp its quite a hand full to do with the clamp it takes minutes.
:D
I can't remeber how to get pictures up though but will give it a go tomorrow night.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:29 am

STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:46 pm

The special tool¡

To position it when you do this the springs will not be compressed the clamp will allow you to get a bit more tension on the cables by giving a bit more free play

Position of clamp bear in mind the motor would not be connected at this stage but you can get the idea

This is what happens when the cable stretches using the new springs makes this worse as they are too long so "push" the cable guide out of the motor.

And it pops out altogether again the new springs make this happen also.

Hope this helps a little. As said the tension on these springs is not much the clamp aids as a 3rd hand, when it pops out the motor will pull it down towards motor and cross cables as there is to much cable on the reel and with no tension

ChrisM
Advanced Driver

Postby ChrisM » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm

U tube ink to modification

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=hMMNlEHXUl0

If it doesn't work search utube for.

Renault Megane 2 Cabrio Infinite Fensterheber

You get an idea how the slider works.

Return to “Megane CC”